The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   get horse to come when called (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/get-horse-come-when-called-112973/)

skittlesfirehawk 02-13-2012 08:53 PM

get horse to come when called

I'm going to be leasing a horse and start once a week ridding.i want to train the horse to come when i call without treats.I don't want to turn the horse into a treat monger.

Fear The Tree 02-13-2012 09:28 PM

Get him used to treats when he's called. Wean him off of treats slowly. Give him love when he comes. He'll get used to it and will come when called without being a treat monger.

waresbear 02-13-2012 09:32 PM

Food is the great motivator. Ask any successful animal trainer how they get the animals to do the spectacular things we see on the movie screen, everyone will tell you - FOOD! My hubby left the pasture gate open when he plowed, the horses were down the road, I got in the car, shook a bucket of oats & they trotted home after the car. I got the conditioned response I wanted, they come when I call as I conditioned them with food & treats, they come now when I don't have it because they expect it and it's just 2nd nature now.

sierrams1123 02-13-2012 09:34 PM

Also go out and catch him other then to just ride.
I would actually spend the first two weeks catching him to groom and feed him before I started catching him for riding, and also remember to take your time at least the first 6 months really grooming and loving on the horse before going to ride, this way the horse will comect being caught by you with good things not just being worked. This has always worked for me, and so long as they understand your personal space and you do not allow them to he pushy treats will not he an issue. I can walk out in my pasture with a bag of treats shaking then around and my horses do not bumbard me for the treats.

DraftyAiresMum 02-13-2012 09:41 PM

I can (most of the time) get Aires to come to me by calling his name and I've never given him treats to catch him. Any time he comes to me, I praise the heck out of him. I don't know, maybe I'm kind of weird, but a lot of the stuff I've taught Aires, I've done just like I was working with my dog who is happy to do stuff for me just to be praised. My dog and horse both know that "Thank you" means they did exactly what I wanted and is accompanied by a scratch or a pat.

RisingGlory 02-13-2012 09:51 PM

exactly..... My horse didn't really understand the whole praise thing when you patted him. He soon understood it when their was food involved!!!! If you don't want to put the food into a bucket, put your treat into the "cup" of 1 of your hands. Something small and not too much. He'll soon realize that the cup motion, probably means theirs food or some kind of reward. As said before, this becomes second nature. Some people don't want to use your hands, just get a bucket. I perfer hands though.

its lbs not miles 02-13-2012 09:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with using food to get them started with something. As already stated, you can wean them off it later. Unless you know something else that the horse absolutely loves that you can use instead.

My horses learned to come when I whistled and they'd get a pinch of feed on my palm. I can whistle now and they'll get their jaw or forhead scratched. The point was they learned to come when I whistled.

AmazinCaucasian 02-13-2012 09:57 PM

Have yer buddy hide in the bushes near yer horse. Stand at the barn and holler for it. Right when you holler, yer buddy should shoot it in the butt with a slingshot to "put it on the move". To the horse, you're the one that doesn't shoot it.

It'll figger it out

RisingGlory 02-13-2012 10:00 PM

A good whistle works also, it's really fun too, cause My gelding usually "calls" back. I just love the sound of a horse whinny!!!

sierrams1123 02-13-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1358298)
Have yer buddy hide in the bushes near yer horse. Stand at the barn and holler for it. Right when you holler, yer buddy should shoot it in the butt with a slingshot to "put it on the move". To the horse, you're the one that doesn't shoot it.

It'll figger it out

Hahaha or you could chase it around till its dripping in sweat and does not want to run anymore....then it will learn dang if I just don't run from this person I wont get tired anymore and sweat so much.