The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hoping For A Quick Recovery :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoping-quick-recovery-113005/)

ChingazMyBoy 02-14-2012 05:25 AM

Hoping For A Quick Recovery :(

This horse is killing me. Cookies to whoever reads this!

After recovering from quite bad colic, Chinga was given a few days off to rest and restore his energy and such. Then, it rained - he got a couple more days off. Then, I had to take a trip to a different State - leaving Chinga at home with my mummy to take care of him. She took wonderful care of him, but - all this energy caused him to go a little nuts and pull a shoe. While I was at school, at around 3pm when I was getting ready to come down.

'Oh hey Maddie, just saw Chinga out in the paddock and he's looking really lame.'

Really. Really. Lame.

They put him in his yard, so he couldn't move around much and I was literally five minutes away - So I said I'd handle his hooves, his had issues with people handling them before. I pick up his hoof and find that the shoes come loose and that its spun around causing the toe clip and several nails to go into the hoof. The vets there anyway, treating another horse. So, I get him to remove it and treat Chinga. Turns out, it was worse then originally expected. During the day, his walked around on it - causing it to penetrate into the bottom of the hoof several times. Not lightly either - his managed to damage the soft tissue. How Chinga? How do you manage to do these things?

So, some treatment later. An awesome vet bill, some antibiotics - which he needs twice a day. instructions to change the dressing daily and stall rest and obviously no work. We're hoping for a safe and -sound- recovery. But what drives me crazy - I clean his hooves so much, oil then and take such good care of them. Get the farrier to him early, instead of late and he goes and does this.

At least someone saw him and noticed, I'm lucky to keep him where he is. So, wish Chinga good luck with his recovery!

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 02-14-2012 05:32 AM

My thoughts are with him! No more injuries, good luck :)

muumi 02-14-2012 05:35 AM

Oh dear!

Horses are so good at getting very unlikely injuries. Goofballs.

I'm sending you lots of love, for rapid healing.

Kayty 02-14-2012 05:52 AM

Oh Maddie, girl trust me when I say I can sympathise. Bloody accident prone tbs!!!!!

ChingazMyBoy 02-14-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1358758)
Oh Maddie, girl trust me when I say I can sympathise. Bloody accident prone tbs!!!!!

Kayty, if you happen to have any advice. I'm more then happy to hear it!

Kayty 02-14-2012 06:24 AM

Alcohol.... wait.... youre too young..... no advice :P

But in all seriousness, I guess its just a matter of sucking it up, and getting on with it again and again. Drives you nuts having horses that are always injured, but it makes you appreciate the good times even more. And at least Chinga is keeping most of his injuries on a level of fairly minor and quick healing (other than the colic!). They're frustrating, but at least you know in a week or so you'll be able to start working him again and he'll be sound :)

ChingazMyBoy 02-14-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1358767)
Alcohol.... wait.... youre too young..... no advice :P

But in all seriousness, I guess its just a matter of sucking it up, and getting on with it again and again. Drives you nuts having horses that are always injured, but it makes you appreciate the good times even more. And at least Chinga is keeping most of his injuries on a level of fairly minor and quick healing (other than the colic!). They're frustrating, but at least you know in a week or so you'll be able to start working him again and he'll be sound :)

3-4 weeks, sadly. The wounds are quite deep.
The vet said it was bad, but eventually - it will heal. You're right - it is frustrating. Specially because he was going so well before this and had literally never had any injuries in the four years I've owned him.

Kayty 02-14-2012 06:29 AM

Even more - bloody tbs!!!! If there is a single sharp rock in a paddock of cotton wool, they will find it!

Susan Crumrine 02-14-2012 06:31 AM

Did you ever notice the pet and pasture horses... are always sound and our highly trained performance horses get injured or go lame?

Kayty 02-14-2012 06:33 AM

Not always Susan.... I know plenty of family trail plodders that ARE plodders because they have soundness problems they were hereditary or from paddock accidents as young horses.