The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How hot is hot when talking about hooves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-hot-hot-when-talking-about-113038/)

egrogan 02-14-2012 02:24 PM

How hot is hot when talking about hooves?

I didn't have time to ride today so popped out to the barn for a quick lunchtime grooming session- much needed now that spring shedding is upon us!

As I cleaned her back feet, to my surprise I noticed her back hooves were warm to the touch- I could feel warmth through my fleece lined gloves. Same feeling from both back feet. Nothing at all from both front feet. I have never noticed this sort of warmth before and so my question is- how hot is hot when talking about being concerned over hooves?

As long as I've known her, she's never had an unsound day. She didn't mind her feet/legs being handled and wasn't showing any signs of pain. In fact, just before this, I was laughing with someone else about how she had set herself up perfectly square on her own, something I can never get her to do when I want it.

I'm sort of primed to think that whenever you notice something different about a horse, it's worth paying attention to, so I'm curious if this sounds odd to anyone else, in which case I will get someone else at the barn to take a look.

MyBoyPuck 02-14-2012 06:45 PM

Was it just the hooves that were warm? Were the legs cool? Did you check for a digtial pulse?

caseymyhorserocks 02-14-2012 10:35 PM

Was the sun out? The sun can just warm the outside of the horses hooves, and like Chinga said, check the digital pulse.

egrogan 02-16-2012 03:51 PM

Just a quick update: legs and feet cool to the touch the past couple of days. I don't know what was going on but I will continue to watch for anything unusual again. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

hrslvr13 02-16-2012 03:56 PM

Digital pulse is an essential thing to check and you can also feel if there is any bogginess/swelling. Did you check to see if there was any tenderness?

Increased circulation can cause increased heat. Activity, stress, etc. can increase circulation and may be the cause of the heat.

So glad all is OK now.

egrogan 02-16-2012 04:04 PM

Yes, should have added I didn't notice really anything in the way of digital pulse- definitely nothing "pounding"- and there is no swelling. We have recently gotten back into work after about 3 weeks when I was travelling a lot for work, so I think a sunny day combined with a fairly rigorous workout two days prior might be logical explanations.

hrslvr13 02-16-2012 04:21 PM

I think what we are suggesting about the digital pulse is: can you feel it? If not there is something wrong. Yes, it CAN be pounding, and that is worrysome. More worrying is NO pulse which can mean something bad.

Sure hope no more problems!
Posted via Mobile Device

egrogan 02-16-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrslvr13 (Post 1363271)
I think what we are suggesting about the digital pulse is: can you feel it? If not there is something wrong. Yes, it CAN be pounding, and that is worrysome. More worrying is NO pulse which can mean something bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am revealing myself as a newbie in this area (no experience with foot/leg problems, thankfully), but I was told at the barn that you don't really want to feel much of anything, just a very faint feeling if you are checking correctly. That's how I would describe it.

I was told to be really concerned if it was "bounding" or "pounding," and it was definitely not that.

If I've been given bad advice though, I'm all ears as this is something I'm embarrassed I don't know more about.

hrslvr13 02-16-2012 05:44 PM

No, the advice was good. Just be aware that there is more to know/learn.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device