The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   First solo trail ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/first-solo-trail-ride-113091/)

MicKey73 02-14-2012 08:19 PM

First solo trail ride

5 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody! Over the past few months, I've gotten my truck and trailer situation together, and have been working with Mickey on new experiences (like that ever ends :wink:). Anyway, yesterday I decided I wanted to ride and couldn't scrape together a buddy, so decided to go myself. Before I get yelled at for going solo, I wore my helmet, brought my cell phone, and told 2 different people where I was going so they knew to send reinforcements if I failed to return :thumbsup: Here are some pix. We had a GREAT time and he was VERY good!!

mildot 02-14-2012 08:31 PM

Good job. Solo riding is a great way to bond with your horse. He has to trust you and you have to trust him.

MicKey73 02-14-2012 08:53 PM

Thanks mildot! I definitely felt him listening to me more. He'd flick an ear at a fallen cactus or rock or whatnot and he never even hesitated if I gave him a little stronger leg contact. We were having a very quiet conversation the whole way and it was very cool.

tinyliny 02-14-2012 09:02 PM

If I wasn't so far away, I'd buddy up on a ride , anytime!

csimkunas6 02-14-2012 10:06 PM

Awesome! Looks like it was a gorgeous day for riding too!

Dark Intentions 02-14-2012 10:30 PM

Aw, he's so pretty! I love chestnuts! haha. What breed is he? Glad you two had fun.:D

SorrelHorse 02-14-2012 10:38 PM

Solo rides are the best things ever sometimes. I always explore new trails when I go out with Rebel, run around like mad, just for no apparant reason other than fun. It's hard to really do what you want when you have friends who don't want to do the same thing sometimes!

So glad you have fun, Mickey is lookin' great!

Country Woman 02-14-2012 11:11 PM

good for you
looks like you had fun

Skyseternalangel 02-15-2012 12:20 AM

What fun! And a very handsome horse!

I am jealous of your trailer though! One day I'll get one too.

Heelsdown 02-15-2012 12:45 AM

Congrats on your first ride!

Honestly, I prefer riding alone. I think before the days of cell phones, and the Findmespot satellite locator, people could go out alone and get hurt and nobody could find them so riding alone was dangerous.
These days, if you have your gadgets and tell someone where you are going, you'll be fine. Especially if you trust your horse. Riding a green horse would be a different story.

IMO, being with other riders can often lead to a fall because someone else's horse spooks and then yours follows or they cause an issue and you get hurt anyway,lol. So I don't see riding alone as being any more dangerous necessarily.

Glad you had fun!