The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   my pony is acting strange (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-pony-acting-strange-1131/)

carladavies 03-16-2007 01:33 PM

my pony is acting strange

Hello my name is carla, i have a welsh section A bay gelding called Jack and hes 4yrs old, nearly 5.

the problem is i have had him about 6 months now and he was gelded when i got him and im not sure when and who did it, but he is being a little monstor,

I have just moved him 3 weeks ago to a new field, he has been on his own for 2 weeks and now there is a new horse there called toffi, shes been there 4 days, and she is in season,

the problem is he is constantly trying to mount her, follows her everywhere, and he is non stop trying to play all the time,

the other day the girl who owns toffi took her out on a ride, and jack tryed to follow her out of the gate, she whent up the path to go for the ride when jack had got his legs over the wall and managed to get over it and whent running up to toffi, now the wall is about 4ft high and hes 13hh,

ive been told he may not have been gelded properly and im worried he may do this again as 10 other horses are going to be joining them from the other yard in about 2weeks, and now im worried he will try this every time one goes out for a ride,

any information would realy help,

thank you

regards Carla

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color]

huntress 03-16-2007 04:48 PM

Think the best thing you can do is get your vet to check him out.

meggymoo 03-16-2007 05:00 PM

I'd agree with huntress, get your vet to check him out!

scamp 03-17-2007 10:54 PM

Hey, you may want to make sure he's not a crypt-orchid. Sometimes when colts are gelded late (like yours) they can be a little harder to deal with, but to rule things out you'd want to make sure he's not a crypt-orchid. Like the other girls said, have a vet check him out and they will suggest the best options. Good luck

Horse_love999 03-18-2007 08:40 AM

i say vet check him, like the others said. But also, since the mares are in season, you mite want to move him with just the geldings, so he wont get so attached. its good to have a buddy, but thats not so good that he is mounting her. but yea try that

-chelsea-
good Luck :D

rodeoridin 03-18-2007 09:21 AM

vet is a good idea.

pantha1 03-19-2007 08:04 PM

hi,

Wish you had some advice on buying this horse before hand.
Most horses cut late will have stallion traits. including mounting mares on heat, nipping and acting like an idiot.
Weather you get a vet out or not to check if he is a rig (half casterated horse). I don't believe this will make a difference, maybe the vet can give him somthing to calm him down.
As far as him geting over the fence, to follow the other horse, this possibly won't happen when the other horses are in the paddock, (horses are heard animals, they need company). he didn't want to be left alone.
Would also so suggest you get someone to train him or better still teach you how to handle him.

good luck.