The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Long Trips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/long-trips-113126/)

RedTree 02-15-2012 03:07 AM

Long Trips

I've never really floated my horse for say longer then half hour, this past weekend however we went on a 2 hour trip for XC training.

Now I wasn't driving so I didn't get a say in this but it was two hours straight.
I noticed on the trip back when I was taking him home, his back legs were fairly swollen.

Would that just of been from the long trip??

I also don't bandage his legs or no float boots (horror stories) but would that help for the longer trips.

sierrams1123 02-15-2012 06:02 AM

Horse should he fine, this is really not that long.
Most horse don't stock up that quick though, was there any heat in his legs.

RedTree 02-15-2012 06:07 AM

yer there was, went down the next day though, hosed it that night and the next morning as they were still a bit swollen went down by the time I fed though

sierrams1123 02-15-2012 06:32 AM

I am thinking you horse is just stocked up, but it is odd to me that it happened due to just two hours in a trailer.

Does your horse stay in a stall any, if so how long is he stalled or not stalled?

thesilverspear 02-15-2012 06:42 AM

Two hours in a trailer is nothing. Think about it in terms of all the horses who travel across the US, or even the Atlantic. I'd be a little worried if a horse was stocked up after standing in a trailer for only two hours.

Lynnie 02-15-2012 07:12 AM

I dont think its normal for his legs to be swelling after 2 hrs. Has it ever happened when he's stabled or anything could be something he's prone to.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 02-15-2012 07:21 AM

Ditto all the above posters.

When I hauled three of my horses 2,400 miles across the United States, they were in the trailer anywhere from 9 - 11 hours daily for five days. The extra long hours were due to road construction delays.

None of them ever stocked up. I didn't wrap anyone's legs and I did not have them bedded in shavings.

My trailer was double-floored and I had mats in it.

Stocking up in only two hours isn't normal:(

Moei 02-19-2012 01:28 PM

this is a dumb question but what is stocking up?

Shropshirerosie 02-19-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moei (Post 1367871)
this is a dumb question but what is stocking up?

In the UK we'd call it legs filling up. Basically means getting a bit fluid-filled a 'puffy'.

To the OP, I'm guessing the legs were more due to too much jumping at the XC course, or hard ground? How fit is your horse or was this level of work out of the ordinary for him?

Cacowgirl 02-19-2012 03:26 PM

Stocking up refers to the legs getting "puffy', & they feel tight to the touch, & there is usually some heat in the puffy area. Hopefully some one else will also post, as there are lots of different reasons for it. My hand is sore from arthritis today, so typing is hard for me.