The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   question on WESTERN bit measurements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/question-western-bit-measurements-113145/)

farmpony84 02-15-2012 10:03 AM

question on WESTERN bit measurements

Engraved Shank Roller Bar Correction Bit by Partrade

Aluminum Smooth Correction Bit, 5" Sweet Iron mouth w/ copper barrels, 8" Engraved aluminum cheeks. 5" shank. 2" port. Imported.

I'm assuming the 8" is from top to botton so where is the 5 1/2?

Also - comments from western pleasure folks on this bit please?

Pro's, con's... better bit suggestions?

Ink 02-15-2012 10:17 AM

The shank is measured from where the mouthpiece connects to the side of the bit, down to where the rein connects at the bottom.

farmpony84 02-15-2012 10:47 AM

Is 5 1/2 severe? I would be going from something more like this to that:

FES Bit Western Correction Mouth in Correction at Schneider Saddlery

Also what about the aluminum? Is it "better" or not so much?

Ink 02-15-2012 11:35 AM

Generally speaking the longer the shank the more leverage you are going to get out of the bit. So a longer shanked bit is going to be stronger than a bit with short shanks.

5 1/2 inches isn't terrible, but I would only use it on a well broke horse.

The aluminum is really just to make the bit look fancier, but it's a lot cheaper and lighter than silver. I've never owned one so I don't know how well they hold up. I actually like the first bit you posted better. Those copper rollers will give the horse something to play with and encourage salivation, plus I think it looks nicer for showing. Actually it's pretty similar to the one my friend uses on his pleasure horse. I don't think it will be a huge leap to go from one to the other though. The aluminum bit doesn't have as much curve to the shanks, but I think you'll be ok.

I hope that helps. If anyone else wants to jump in here feel free!

farmpony84 02-15-2012 11:37 AM

It does help. Thanks.

Just so I understand:

Less curve is more
Longer shank is more

What about those S shaped ones? Are they more or less?

farmpony84 02-15-2012 11:38 AM

and you are talking 5 1/2 inches from like the mouth down. Nothing above right? So if I take a ruler, that's the length I'm looking at, right?

Ink 02-15-2012 11:46 AM

Yep yep, you're looking from the mouthpiece down when measuring the length of the shank. There's some good info about bits on this thread http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...-113033/page6/

Just have to wade through the bickering lol. But there's some good stuff especially on the last couple pages.

I honestly have no idea about those S curve ones.

GotaDunQH 02-15-2012 12:23 PM

To the OP, I LOVE that bit you posted....I school my horse quite often in that very same bit. Those shanks are a good length too. I've ridden in 8" shanks but I prefer them a little shorter.

farmpony84 02-15-2012 12:32 PM

K. I ordered it. Thanks for the help guys.

If I need more then I think my next step is a "roller"? He apparently pulls too much on the bit which is probably from the fact that I kept way too much contact on him. We're getting better though...

GotaDunQH 02-15-2012 05:25 PM

^you want a roller in the bit, is that what you mean? Or just rollers like the one in that bit. All of my correction bits have rollers on the bars on the mouthpiece. They also make a spoon bit with an actual roller in the center of the port.