The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bit confused about grooming? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bit-confused-about-grooming-113170/)

xhorseygirlx 02-15-2012 02:25 PM

Bit confused about grooming?

You know how you can't use some brushes on grass kept ponies? But what if you keep changing them, like they stay in the stable at night or field by day, or something like that where they live in both, what would you do then?
Also what are the brushes you can't use on a field kept pony(grass kept)? I'm kind of confused?

Does that make sense? haha thanks x

MN Tigerstripes 02-15-2012 02:29 PM

Um... I've never heard of not being able to use certain brushes on pasture horses. I use any brushes I want on mine..

Golden Horse 02-15-2012 02:29 PM

We were always taught not to use body brushes on field kept ponies because they removed to much grease etc. I believe that this is no longer believed, but personally I only use a dandy brush and curry on my monsters especially during the winter, When they have summer coats I may body brush them

MN Tigerstripes 02-15-2012 02:31 PM

Ahhh. Ok, that makes sense (kinda). I don't really brush mine in the winter, unless their hair gets matted with snow/mud. Then I just use a rubber curry to break up the hair.

xhorseygirlx 02-15-2012 03:09 PM

oh right so it doesn't make a difference in grooming if their field kept or not? x

hrslvr13 02-15-2012 03:24 PM

If you do not bathe the horse you do not remove the oils on/in the skin and coat. Brushing or currying stimulates the follicles and increases the skin's natural oils. The horses also usually like it, so it's a treat for some of them.

Bridgertrot 02-15-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrslvr13 (Post 1361212)
If you do not bathe the horse you do not remove the oils on/in the skin and coat. Brushing or currying stimulates the follicles and increases the skin's natural oils. The horses also usually like it, so it's a treat for some of them.

This. If you curry the heck out of a single spot on a horse you will notice it getting super shiny b
Posted via Mobile Device

lilbit11011 02-15-2012 04:59 PM

Never heard that. I tend to just use what ever brush I need to depending on what my horse looks like.

Skyseternalangel 02-15-2012 05:13 PM

My horse is field kept and I always curry him, body brush him, then soft brush him. He has no problems.

Now bathing, that's a different story. That strips the oils so you want to do it as less as possible.

xhorseygirlx 02-15-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1361387)
My horse is field kept and I always curry him, body brush him, then soft brush him. He has no problems.

Now bathing, that's a different story. That strips the oils so you want to do it as less as possible.

So instead of bathing him after an exercise where he gets really sweaty, would you wait for him to dry off then brush off the dry sweat? (Thats what I read)

but what would you do if you keep them in both, field and stable, would you still bathe him as little as possible? Thanks! x