The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Confusion on roan! Strawberry vs. Red (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/confusion-roan-strawberry-vs-red-113217/)

patchesofheaven74 02-15-2012 09:02 PM

Confusion on roan! Strawberry vs. Red

Hi guys. I'm soo horribly confused on strawberry roan and red roan.
I know what they look like but i'm unsure how they are genetically different.

is it the difference that one if chestnut with flaxen or what?

thanks for the help.

CLaPorte432 02-15-2012 09:04 PM

889 Attachment(s)
I believe they are both genetically the same. They are both e/e because if it was anything different you'd end up with E+/e or E+/E+ which would give you a black based horse, not red.

So I believe it's just the phenotype (appearance) that is different, not the genotype. (genetics)

NdAppy 02-15-2012 09:04 PM

They are exactly the same. Different names for one color.

SullysRider 02-15-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1361913)
They are exactly the same. Different names for one color.

That's what I have always heard.
Posted via Mobile Device

patchesofheaven74 02-15-2012 09:13 PM

Ok thank you guys for the help <3

BlackCricket 02-15-2012 09:56 PM

also red can be bay roans....most people where I live call bay roans--red roan, chestnut roans--strawberry roan.

So for that reason alone...I like to call them bay roan, chestnut roan, etc....LOL. Blue roan is the about the only one I don't call Base Color + Roan.

Pyrros 02-16-2012 02:40 AM

Around here red roan and bay roan are more or less two terms for the same color, bay roan. A bay horse with roan. Where as 'strawberry roan' refers to a chestnut/sorrel based roan. I've also heard strawberry roan referred to as 'red roan' around here though.

Just as well, in this area I occasionally see blue roan called Black Roan, since blue roan is a black horse with roan.

sierrams1123 02-16-2012 02:49 AM

Red Roan or Strawberry Roan describes true or classic roan on a chestnut base coat. The mane and tail remain red or have only a few white hairs, while the body ranges from nearly chestnut to pinkish. Geneticists prefer the term "chestnut roan," but this term is not in common use.

Tapperjockey 02-19-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patchesofheaven74 (Post 1361904)
Hi guys. I'm soo horribly confused on strawberry roan and red roan.
I know what they look like but i'm unsure how they are genetically different.

is it the difference that one if chestnut with flaxen or what?

thanks for the help.

Depends where you live. It's very regional. In most areas Strawberry Roan/Red Roan/Chestnut Roan are all the same, but some areas call Bay Roan/Red Roan the same.

My preferred usage (which they use in Welsh ponies :D) is chestnut roan, bay roan and black roan (though blue roan isn't usually confused with anything else, so that one is usually more interchangable).

SplashedOver 02-24-2012 01:57 AM

I always thought
red roans were bays with roaning
& strawberry roans were chestnut with roaning
blue roans black with roaning.