The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Opinions wanted on horse trailer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/opinions-wanted-horse-trailer-113248/)

Poco1220 02-16-2012 01:02 AM

Opinions wanted on horse trailer

Going out trailer shoppin soon and although this wasn't exactly what I was looking for it did catch my eye and Id like some opinions on it please. ( It's about a 5 hrs drive otherwise I'd just run over & check it out )

http://www.midwaytrailersales.com/ViewTrailer.asp?TrailerID=4348
Posted via Mobile Device

sierrams1123 02-16-2012 02:42 AM

odd shape, but looks in nice condition.

I would be kind of worried about a home made trailer...

kitten_Val 02-16-2012 08:57 AM

Poco, the problem with the homemade trailers is that you can have lots of issues registering it in your state. Some states will require you to prove it's within standards (so you may check it with your MVA before buying one). Plus you don't know yourself how safe the homemade one is.

Speed Racer 02-16-2012 09:02 AM

What Val said. It's not that the trailer isn't in good shape, it's that you may not be able to title it where you live, which will limit you to only using it within your state borders, if that's even allowed.

In VA, anything that can't be titled can have a 'Farm Use' tag put on it. There are restrictions though, such as not taking it more than 50 miles from your residence, and you can't cross into any other state.

If you're set on this trailer just make sure it can be titled and tagged, otherwise it's not really a good deal.

churumbeque 02-16-2012 09:35 AM

No way would I buy a homemade trailer although that one looks nicer than most.

Poco1220 02-16-2012 11:05 AM

The trailer is already titled in my state so that's not an issue. Any other thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 02-16-2012 11:07 AM

Just have a trailer mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb if you decide to buy it, Poco.

Home made trailers aren't always crappy death traps; a lot of the people who put them together are professional welders and know what they're doing.

churumbeque 02-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poco1220 (Post 1362934)
The trailer is already titled in my state so that's not an issue. Any other thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Spend your time and money closer to home.
5 hours away is a long way to go plus if you need to have it checked over all of the sudden this is a 2 day trip. save the drive and put that gas money in a better trailer that you can resell when ready.

churumbeque 02-16-2012 11:49 AM

Horse Trailer World - Huge Selection of Horse Trailers, Cargo, Trucks
Horse Trailer World - Huge Selection of Horse Trailers, Cargo, Trucks
here are a few in the midwest. If you keep your eyes out you should be able to find something that won't be such a gamble.

loveduffy 02-16-2012 12:29 PM

take it for a ride and ask him the last time he used it even a manufacterd trailer can have problmes use trailer are good just check them out well