The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   horse coughing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-coughing-113258/)

horsegirlxx 02-16-2012 04:30 AM

horse coughing

Hi, when I ride my 5 year old appaloosaXqhXtb he starts to cough after trotting. He only coughs 2 - 4 times and it is only after the first trot. Why is he doing this and is it any cause of alarm ??
Posted via Mobile Device

Derry girl 02-16-2012 07:56 AM

Iv the same problem with my jumping mare, she's perfectly healthy but when I start to excerise her she'll cough 3/4 times and then nothing. iv jumped of a good few times and throughly checked her mouth and nostrils for any snot, mucus etc.. all clear.
I took her to the vet and ..well am not clued up on all the vetinary terms but in lay-mans terms he basically said she just clearing her throat, he gave me a white powder stuff to put in her feed for a few weeks, to be honest it was the biggest waste of 50, 2years on she'll still blurt out a cough and then shes gran.
Iv took her to another vet since and he sounded her and took a few blood tests... all clear. literally just one of those things.. with her anyway.. I do think it would be a good idea to get her sounded by the vet just to check, just incase theres any underlying problems..

natisha 02-16-2012 08:00 AM

One of my horses always does that. If it ends with a sneeze I don't worry.

mvinotime 02-16-2012 08:57 AM

I have heard this can be a common occurrence and how they clear dust especially horses that are not turned out, in dry lots etc. My boy does this alot but more so in summer. I lunge before I ride and as soon as I ask for a trot he will do one or maybe two weird cough/hack things then not a peep out of him. ;) He is healthy and has done this since I have had him so I don't worry about it.