The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Development of Gaited Horses in North America (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/development-gaited-horses-north-america-113273/)

Guilherme 02-16-2012 11:15 AM

Development of Gaited Horses in North America

The gaited horse in North America has multiple roots. There is the oft mentioned Narragansett Pacer. There is the less frequently mentioned Iberian root. And there is the almost never mentioned genetic possibility of “gait” in any equine breed.

The discussion of the Narragansett and its cousin, the Canadian, Pacer is pretty well known. There’s no reason to repeat it here.

The Iberian connection deserves some comment. The Spanish colonies of the New World predate the Northern European colonies by at least a couple of centuries. During that time Spanish explorers roamed by sea as far north as the Canadian Maritime provinces. Land expeditions reached the headwaters of the Tennessee River. Spanish missionaries reached as far north as present day St. Louis. While much of this exploration was by boat, there was a lot of land travel, also. Horses and mules (and oxen) were part of the “train” of these explorations. While the working horse in the Iberian culture is the stallion (who is almost never gelded) mares and jennies would have been used from time to time.

During the period from the early exploration to the rise of the U.S. and the Louisiana Purchase there was a brisk, if illegal, trade in horses, tobacco, and other goods between the lands west of the Appalachians and the Spanish settlements further west. For a time even New Orleans was under the rule of the Spanish Crown. This means that the horses in use would likely have been Iberian as they were available in numbers and would have been relatively inexpensive.

As noted, gait can occur in any trotting breed from time to time. Today it is pretty much ruthlessly suppressed. In the Age of Horsepower it would have just sold off to somebody who needed a gaited horse for longer distance travel astride. Anything else would have been “wastage.” Such generally did not occur in a frontier society.

Significant numbers of “American” horses (of Northern European origin) did cross the Appalachians, particularly after the Louisiana Purchase. Lewis and Clark noted the types of horses in the log of their journey west. They found no trouble getting horses when they had to abandon river travel.

The “gaited” horse in North America today is really a horse that developed in the Appalachians in the early to mid-19th Century. Roads in this area were poor and travel conditions could be difficult over a large part of the year. A good “road horse” (comfortable, reliable, versatile) was a necessity.

Communities were also rather isolated. In a time when travel was difficult many people never left the valley they were born in. Their world was defined by ridgelines and bottom land. So the base stock available to them would have been a mix of American and Iberian horses. This also meant that the breeding practices of the day would be crucial in establishing regional types.

During this period a stallion owner would “campaign” his stud horse in his valley to build a name for himself and the horse. Races, demonstrations, and the “Saturday Night Horse Show” were primary venues. He would then offer the stallion for breeding. His method was to travel around his valley (and maybe some adjoining valleys if the horse was good enough) and stand it to local mares. Dominant stallions very quickly put their mark on local equine populations. Pedigree was less important than breeding performance and the quality of the get. In time a system of “papers” would arise, but it was very informal and, probably, somewhat inaccurate. We have DNA testing today because of the shenanigans of horse breeders. I doubt the horse breeders of the 19th Century were any more ethical!

The Civil War meant that huge numbers of these locally bred animals would be pressed into military service and would leave their isolated valleys for the larger world. The Union Army did not use gaited horses. The Confederate Army didn’t want to, but had no choice. The Union Army issued the trooper a horse. In the Confederate Army a trooper provided his own horse. If it were lost in the line of duty he would either be issued a new one or paid the value of the lost horse. Many Union officers learned the benefits of a smooth horse and would seek them after the War, spreading them a bit further out. There was always a prejudice against the gaited horse by some “professionals.” This shows up from time to time in the equine literature of the day.

After the War the Appalachians settled back into the pattern that had persisted before. It would not be until after WWI that more modern development would come to Appalachia. This would also be the era of the rise of the various breed associations. By the 1930s the horse was losing its job to the auto in massive numbers. No longer a necessity, the breeders sought to make it a luxury good. In doing this they needed to create a market and one way to create that market was to make their particular horse a “pedigreed horse” with a bloodline capable of producing “bragging rights.” The first to successfully do this were the TN Walker breeders. Others would soon follow.

After WWII the isolation of the rural South was pretty well erased. The War had given the horse a short period of gainful employment (due to gasoline rationing and the difficulty in maintaining automobiles) but by the late ‘40s the Age of Horsepower was over. From then on horses would be a pastime, not a necessity.

Whenever you read about the history of a gaited breed keep in mind that this is the historical context in which that breed developed. Practically speaking, this means that much of the “history” that is claimed will be myth and legend writ down. That does not mean everything is false, only that it’s been “spun” to appeal to the ego of a potential buyer.

If you have any further interest in the equine history of North America I commend to you three works:

Conquerors: The Roots of New World Horsmanship by Dr. Deb Bennet.

The Spanish Frontier in North America by David J. Weber

Los Mesteños: Spanish Ranching in Texas, 1721-1821 by Jack Jackson.

G.

SueNH 02-17-2012 12:10 PM

I feel left out! What about the New England states and their old blue laws about galloping horse races on Sunday? Or how the pacing Standardbred came to be...
The Purtains and their strict rules left a mark on our horses.

Racing home from church son? "But pastor! We never even broke into a canter!"

Joe4d 02-17-2012 01:53 PM

Spanish colonies did not predate Northern European colonies by "At least" a couple hundred. One hundred maybe not two.
Columbus sailed in 1492, by 1692 the east cost of North America was pretty well colonized.
I had always figured the gaited stock came from the spanish, the Paso and peruvian breeds as well as some of the island horses are all gaited.

its lbs not miles 02-17-2012 03:47 PM

In point of fact a great many people in the South favored gaited horses long before 1860. The "American Horse" was gaited breed (a product of Pacer and TB crossing) that was very popular during and after the American Revolution. It lead to other gaited breeds that were very popular amoung the population that lived outside of the cities. The Saddler (AKA: Kentucky Saddler, Saddle Horse, Kentucky Saddle Horse and likely some I've missed) was gaited horse that was sought after. Robert E Lee specifically had them purchased for him. Traveler was one. Forrest road nothing but gaited horses before and during the war. These were men who could afford ride what they wanted and wanted gaited horses Most Southern Cav were mounted on gaited horses because they were the popular horse in the region.

The Morgan, a gaited horse from the northeast (so be happy New Englanders) was very popular before 1860, because of it's smooth gaits.

I'm not sure where the OP's source came up with this information saying tha gaited horses weren't the popular horse of choice. Gaited horses historically very popular in the colonies and later the US. Largely because people outside the cities (and those traveling between cities) did have to ride so much and over such great distances. A gaited horse provided a comfortable and quick way to travel. In the South and "western" (midwest today) states, where there were fewer really large cities and the population was more spread out, the gaited horse was certainly the horse of choice. Southern Ohio, KY and TN had reputation for producing some of the best gaited horses that were pretty much the same "breed" and much sought after well before the 1860's

While Northern Cav of 1861 might not have liked the gaited horse, the Southern Cav did if we read the history of the time and the accounts left behind.

The only people how had problems with horses that were gaited (beyond the 3 they all have) were generally show people. Probably one of the reasons why todays Saddlebred (what use to be the gaited Saddler horses) tends not have as many gaited animals. Breeders wanted the animated step for showing more than they want the smooth gait.

Joe4d 02-18-2012 01:52 PM

speed quickness maneuverability of a cow horse for pushing cows, Get on the TN Walker to ride to town.
When people started driving cars to town there was less use for the Walkers but they still needed cow horses.
Makes me wonder if gaited breeds were one time way more popular than they are now.

Darrin 02-19-2012 01:06 AM

I would say that depends on where you are from. My Grandma is from Iowa, she had a cousin buy a TWH back in the late 30's. Everyone laughed at him because what he payed is what you would pay for a good mule and you could get more work from the mule.

its lbs not miles 02-20-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1366489)
speed quickness maneuverability of a cow horse for pushing cows, Get on the TN Walker to ride to town.
When people started driving cars to town there was less use for the Walkers but they still needed cow horses.
Makes me wonder if gaited breeds were one time way more popular than they are now.

:lol: More years back than I want to admit to, when I worked cattle, my father bought a 2 yo TW. Lovely animal and I enjoy training it for riding later. The most comfortable riding horse we had. One of the most comfortable riding horses I've ridden. But not work the price of his feed for working cattle :lol:. With cattle about all he was good for was riding behind just to keep things moving :lol:. But if I wanted to take a nice ride to town he was certainly the horse of choice and he got ridden a lot for pleasure.

Gaited breeds were extremely popular at one time. My grandfather and that generation of the family (born in the late 1800's) loved gaited horses and used them for about everything except cattle (some cousins even plowed with them, but that's another story....why a men with 3 tractors each would use a horse or mule to plow a vegetable garden?). Apparently the Cav did too way back. Saddlebreds being one of the popular Cav breeds (back when they were normally gaited and a stronger breed of animal than what they've become today). But it makes sense that gaited breeds would be popular with people who rode for hours virtually every day. Imagine spending most of your days riding distances of 20+ miles. Even in garrison you rode daily for patrols, drill and training. As much as I loved my QH for working cattle (and I'd raised her from a young filly) if I had to ride without working cattle I'd take the gaited horse.

I'm not any smarter about what's a better ride than the people were over 100 years ago. A smooth ride would feel as good then as it does now :lol: