The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   MFT With Diarrhea (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mft-diarrhea-113282/)

howdyme 02-16-2012 02:31 PM

MFT With Diarrhea

I have a MFT that I have had for about 4 months now who has had off and on again bouts of diarrhea. I was able to contact the man that owned him before the woman I got him from and neither of them indicated that he had diarrhea before. He also told me he got this horse from a man in PA and that he was never registered. I was told by the woman I got him from that he was registered, but the papers were lost. I have tested him for sand via the baggie test and there is no sand at all left in the bag, had him tested for tapeworms by my vet and she found a few (nothing real bad), even so, I wormed him for tapeworms. But here he goes again with this nasty poop mess all over his high white legs. Has anyone had a horse with pre-cushings disease, or maybe ulcers? He does have long hair, but not curly. He is approximately 17 years old this year. I just got back from the feed store and am going to try him on Fastrack. In the past, I tried paste probiotics, but it did nothing for the problem.

You all have been so helpful, I look forward to help on this subject too. :D

mftowner06 02-16-2012 02:34 PM

Have you contacted your vet? Is he running a fever? Is he eating, do you know what he was eating before, what do you have him on know?

howdyme 02-17-2012 08:39 AM

Yes, I have contacted my vet. No, he is not running a fever and acts perfectly normal. He has a good apetite, however he does drink a lot of water, which is good because he is not dehydrated. He eats timothy hay and grass hay and a small amount of grain so that I can mix meds in it. First 5 days of every month he gets Metamucil and when the weather changes, he gets oil in the grain. Now, he gets Fastrack mixed with his grain. My vet said the only thing left to do is x-rays of his stomach and blood tests.

mftowner06 02-17-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyme (Post 1364555)
Yes, I have contacted my vet. No, he is not running a fever and acts perfectly normal. He has a good apetite, however he does drink a lot of water, which is good because he is not dehydrated. He eats timothy hay and grass hay and a small amount of grain so that I can mix meds in it. First 5 days of every month he gets Metamucil and when the weather changes, he gets oil in the grain. Now, he gets Fastrack mixed with his grain. My vet said the only thing left to do is x-rays of his stomach and blood tests.

If i missed your answering I do apologize - how long has he been have diaherra? What kind of grain do you have him on? From your above post it sounds like this has been going on for a while - have you had him check for ulcers? And I would do xrays and blood...

howdyme 02-17-2012 05:22 PM

Thank you for responding. I have had him for 4 months and he started with the runs shortly after I got him. I have him on Fastrack and Electrolites in his water. He has a good appetite. I was looking at his teeth today, something I have not done since I bought him 4 months ago and noticed he had no Galvynes Groove on his tooth. I was told he was 16 years old by his previous owner. If he was 16, the Groove should have been halfway down the tooth. I know that you cannot rely on that Groove 100% as it is not always accurate. I am now wondering if he is late 20s or maybe even 30ish. I plan on having my vet out next week if the Fastrack does not stop the runs. My vet admits, she cannot guess a horses' age.

mftowner06 02-17-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyme (Post 1365222)
Thank you for responding. I have had him for 4 months and he started with the runs shortly after I got him. I have him on Fastrack and Electrolites in his water. He has a good appetite. I was looking at his teeth today, something I have not done since I bought him 4 months ago and noticed he had no Galvynes Groove on his tooth. I was told he was 16 years old by his previous owner. If he was 16, the Groove should have been halfway down the tooth. I know that you cannot rely on that Groove 100% as it is not always accurate. I am now wondering if he is late 20s or maybe even 30ish. I plan on having my vet out next week if the Fastrack does not stop the runs. My vet admits, she cannot guess a horses' age.

This is my thinking is the lady that you bought him fron in your area/state? The reason I am asking is he may not be use to the water, the hay, the food - did you transfer him over to what she was feeding him to what you're feeding him now slowly? What kind of hay are you giving him?

howdyme 02-18-2012 08:03 AM

I bought him from out of State, two hours away. Her hay was not the good quality mine is. She fed a different brand of grianand much more than I do. By this time, you would think that he would have gotten used to my hay and grain. I have pasture, she had a mud lot. Although the grass in my field is basically dead right now, he still prefers eating it rather than eating hay. He is out on pasture no more than 3 hours a day. For the first month, I had him out about fifteen minutes to a half an hour to get him used to the grass. He will go for weeks with normal poops, than all of a sudden it is loose. Thank you for responding, it helps to get input from other people. Have a wonderful day and again, thank you.

BeamerCorgi 02-18-2012 02:21 PM

The probiotic treatment is not strong enough to have a lasting effect. you need something like the new EquiOtic, that is billions of cfu's as opposed to 1 bil or a few million. Also it is made from EQUINE bacteria. The runs is always a GI upset that should be watched carefully. If you cannot find Equiotic from your vet or on-line try Bio-Star Probiotic. While not Equine it does have billions of regular bacteria that are in the 100 billion range. Probiotic work by binding the toxins in the GI tract. The Equine probiotic works by not only binding but will coat and reproduce on the mucosa and then secretes metabolites. (I got that from their video).

howdyme 02-18-2012 02:57 PM

Thank you, I will look for EquiOtic....

howdyme 02-28-2012 08:45 AM

Patches finally, is over his bout with diarrhea. I got a companion for him, he stays out most of the time on grass and the loose poops stopped. All is good now.