The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Scratching her butt? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/scratching-her-butt-113290/)

Wallaby 02-16-2012 02:15 PM

Scratching her butt?

I realized yesterday that we're getting to the time of the year where Lacey likes to scratch the living daylights out of her patootie, which I really don't appreciate. It obviously hurts her, the flies go crazy for it, and the kids at camp are like "What's wrong with your horse?? :shock:" and it's kinda sad.

All summer long she rubs her tail pretty badly and sometimes (at least once a month) she rubs her butt enough that she causes herself to bleed. Sometimes she does this in the spring too so I'm kinda trying to get ahead of it.

I clean her udders regularly, at least once a week in the summer, and she could be dewormed more which I am going to try to do more often...
I do notice this issue more if I don't give her a weekly bath. It seems like she gets itchier and itchier as she gets dirtier...
She is very sensitive to bug bites, she's always getting covered in welts from bugs.

I'm basically just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with this and could give me tips...

For the record, I'm going to ask the vet about this when she comes out to do spring shots, I just would like to get a headstart if possible. :)

I couldn't find a good picture of her butt after she's scratched it badly but here's a side picture of it at about 1 week post-scratching...
From what I can tell, she basically just sits on the fence and rubs as hard as she can.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-U...6/100_7728.JPG

caseymyhorserocks 02-16-2012 11:44 PM

Deworm her for pinworms, which lay their eggs under the horses tail. A wormer such as ivermectin or Pyrantal Pamoate usually does the trick.

COWCHICK77 02-16-2012 11:53 PM

More than likely it is because she is sensitive to the flies or bug bites.

Although pinworms are a cause for butt itch and the itching, I believe would be up closer to the tailhead(could be wrong), it is usually more likely to be an allergic reaction to something. Which obviously is from bug bites since she welts up.

So keeping her covered in bug/fly spray and if she is allergic to the spray you can make your own out of Dawn dishsoap/Vinegar/water. I had a horse that was this way and this was the only thing I could put on him. However I worked for some people recently that had a horse allergic to fly spray and used a solution of Avons Skin So Soft and water.

fromthismoment 02-17-2012 12:07 AM

My horse was rubbing his tail out when I first got him. I used a product called MTG. It worked really well. It's very oily so maybe put it on with gloves.

I've never tried it but I've been told that tea tree oil will also stop skin itching which leads to the tail rubbing.

And of course try fly spray and have you're horse on a regular deworming program.

Tnavas 02-17-2012 05:42 AM

My mare tends to rub her tail and I wash it with Nizoral shampoo which seems to sort it out really quickly.

PaintedFury 02-17-2012 10:19 AM

You could also try spraying her tail dock with Listerine. The regular amber colored one. It will kill any fungus which may be growing on it and causing it to itch. It looks like everyone else has covered all of the other bases.

If she is allergic to flies, you may want to get her a fly sheet, and the fly leg wraps, and keep her sprayed with fly spray, or make your own if she allergic to that as well.

myQHpaul 02-19-2012 06:18 PM

My mare use to do this everytime she went into heat or when her udders needed a good cleaning. We also had a mare at our barn who did this and she has pinworms. Hope you find out what the problem is soon.

draftlover 02-19-2012 11:53 PM

i agree with the mtg. it works wonders!!!

lubylol 02-19-2012 11:57 PM

Since she is very sensitive to bug bites, you could get a fly sheet for fly season, and maybe it would stop her from itching her booty.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fowl Play 02-20-2012 10:41 AM

The horse my daughter has been leasing is a butt rubber! We tried Listerine, MTG, etc, and it all dried him out worse. We wormed him for pinworms, cleaned his sheath, everything you could imagine or that has ever been suggested. Nothing worked. We used (and still do) Eqyys Microtek shampoo and spray, and manage it okay that way. We did figure out that he was really itchy. He won't lay down in most stalls, and therefore won't roll. We had him turned out most of the winter and he rolled in the mud, got all his itches out, and he's quit rubbing. We also found a stall at our barn that he will lay down in and is able to roll when he can't get out. We figured out that his butt didn't really itch, it was just like when you get an itch in the middle of your back and you can't scratch it, how everything starts to itch...he could scratch his butt, but nothing else, so that's how he got his itches out.

I will caution you on MTG: my cousin used it on her horse and it scalded him, he literally went bald on his head and neck. We only tried it once on Ro, and he also ended up scalded.