The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Palmers a Standardbred racehorse! Info needed! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/palmers-standardbred-racehorse-info-needed-113341/)

TrailxxRider 02-16-2012 10:38 PM

Palmers a Standardbred racehorse! Info needed!

I brought Palmer home today, I found him on Craigslist, and only paid $300. He was covered in manure and hadn't had his feet done in ages. Well groke, smoothest gaits imaginable, and just a gentle giant. The guy had no idea about his past and just got him for his daughters to play with.

As I was brushing him I found a freeze brand on the right side of his neck. I looked them up and found out that any Standardbred raced in the US had freeze brand serial number on their neck. I looked up the brand number on the USTA website and found out the most amazing thing!

Palmer, or "Palmer Steelster" is a registered Standardbred ex-race horse from Ontario, Canada! He was foaled on March 28th, 1995. He has a total career earnings of $121,589, with 9 firsts, 13 seconds, and 12 thirds! He was last raced in 2002. I was able to print out a 5 generation pedigree on him. He has famous Hall of Fame, Tripple Crown winners in his pedigree, including his sire Camluck and his grandsire Cam Fella, along with Most Happy Fella, Bret Hanover, Meadow Skipper, Abercrombie, and a bunch others.

What a dream come true! I never thought I would have such an awesome horse, even if he is retired!

Now what can people tell me about Standardbreds, and is there anything special I need to due for a retired pacer like him? I bought him senior feed and a joint supplement, besides that anything else he needs?

Country Woman 02-17-2012 12:54 AM

awesome find
hope you and your have a great life together

maisie 02-17-2012 09:32 PM

Has he been examined by a vet and had his teeth and hooves worked on? If he was neglected at his last home, he probably needs some professional attention. Do you know when he last had his shots? Am I being too obvious?

I have heard that Standardbreds are generally low-key, tolerant horses, and can make great riding horses but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

Congratulations on rescuing this guy. I hope you are very happy together.

TrailxxRider 02-17-2012 10:03 PM

The farrier is coming out tomorrow morning to do his hooves. They haven't been done since summer I was told! I was pretty mad about that but at least they are still ok looking, just long.

Palmers isolated in his own pasture well away from the other horses for a few weeks. We only have one equine vet around here, so I can't get him in until Thursday, but he'll have his teeth floated, his shots, and his health exam done.

Besides being neglected due to ignorance, he's not sicky, and only a little under wieght. The guy did care about him, he just didn't understand that horses need more then just food and water.

Your not being too obvious, a lot of people I know take in free or cheap horses and don't bother with proper medical care and such.

I have him on a senior feed as well as a joint supplement. I'm not sure if he needs anything else special after being raced. I just wish it would warm up so I can give him a good bath!

gothicangel69 02-18-2012 08:29 AM

Congrats on the new horse! I bought one last year for 700 and he is by far the best horse I've ever met. So sweet and mild mannered. The person I bought him from didn't know anything about him either, and I was able to trace him and find out his registered name, race owner, previous injuries, and his pedigree. Turns out his father is Real Desire, and his grandsire on his dams side is Jate Lobell- who was in the racing hall of fame. I even found out where he was bred and contacted them- they gave me some photos of when he was just a baby. It was fantastic to find out all his past history.
Good luck with him! You say he is older, so maybe you should add a joint supplement to his feed- racing is hard on their bodies, and a supplement may help keep his joints in good condition so he doesn't develop arthritis down the road- if he doesn't already have it.
Posted via Mobile Device

maura 02-18-2012 09:29 AM

Is he already broken to ride? Do you have any idea of his history between the track and the people you bought him from?

And what do his legs look like? Knees, hocks and fetlocks?

I've worked with 5 or 6 STBs off the track, and they've all been lovely to work with on the ground (STB people can't tolerate bad ground manners in the same way TB people because of the way they work around a horse to harness it and put it to a cart.) and good natured sorts.

There are some transition isssues in breaking them to ride after they've been broken to harness, but if he's already been broken to ride, no worries there.

I ask about the legs because he had a fairly strenuous career - racing until he was 7 and in the money 34 times. He probably had many more starts than that. You'll see STBs continue to race with major arthritic changes to their joints. Glad to hear you've got him on a joint supplement.

Sounds like he's off to a good start in his new home.

TrailxxRider 02-18-2012 11:35 PM

He is very well broke to ride! It seems he was used as a trail horse since he was taken off the track, but I'm not possitive. He'll ride out bitless or in a snaffle. All you have to do is say woah and he puts on the brakes. He's very non-spooky, laid back, and respectful. Thank god hes so fast gaited or I wouldn't be able to keep up with my friend's little zippy Arabs! I believe someone taught him other gaits as well because he doesn't trot, just goes into a smooth floating gait, but since I dont know gaited horses, I don't know what it is.

He was done by our Amish farrier today who seemed impressed that someone in the area had a Standardbred. We noticed he was a little sensitive about his back right pastern, but that hoof was very overgrown so were hoping it was just because of that. I could possibly be an old injury, but I hope not. Or maybe arthritis? Whatever it is it didn't seem to affect his riding, but I'll know more on Thursday at the vet.

TrailxxRider 02-18-2012 11:38 PM

This is the day I met him, my friend took a couple pictures with her phone. She's a horse trainer and helps a lot of our 4H kids buy horses so she came along. She rode him first and told me if I didn't scoop him up she would!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b..._photos/tn.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...photos/tn2.jpg

(P.S. The stirrups were locked in place for the mans daughters and too short, thats why I'm sitting so bad!)

loveduffy 02-18-2012 11:55 PM

congrats have a good time with your new friend

MelissaAnn 02-21-2012 01:26 PM

Ive always heard they are great horses! I bet he is glad you found him!