The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse used for kid lesson? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-used-kid-lesson-113343/)

Lafitte 02-16-2012 09:45 PM

Horse used for kid lesson?

I'm not sure if this was the right place for this but anyway.
My horse has the opportunity to be used as a kids horse to be
used once a week. The horse has been starting training to get
it back into shape and get back to where it was years ago.
It responds to reining type pressure to go instead of kicking.
So, was wandering if the horse would get worse with kids
riding it or would indeed help the older horse to get better?

themacpack 02-16-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafitte (Post 1363963)
I'm not sure if this was the right place for this but anyway.
My horse has the opportunity to be used as a kids horse to be
used once a week. The horse has been starting training to get
it back into shape and get back to where it was years ago.
It responds to reining type pressure to go instead of kicking.
So, was wandering if the horse would get worse with kids
riding it or would indeed help the older horse to get better?

So your horse would be being used for lessons given by an instructor? If so, the instructor would, presumably, be trusted to evaluate the students and horse for compatibility and to supervise the lessons to be sure the student and horse are performing correctly.

Saskia 02-18-2012 04:37 AM

While it could be a decent opportunity for your horse to get some work and some experience, I definately would never do it.

Sure, instructors watch the riders, but beginners slam on their backs, they jerk on their mouths - and its not usually deliberate, but they are unbalanced and uncoordinated.

I wouldn't do it.

Tayz 02-18-2012 04:59 AM

I would never let anyone i didnt know ride muss. I'm teaching him the way I expect things and to have little kids pulling on his mouth, kickin him in the cut, yankin on the reins, pullin him up on accident, sitting wrong in the sattle etc i would not like.
My friend owns a good barrel racing horse and she did trotting poles furiously itt was amazing to see. then she let a few people ride her horse and when she got back to poles the horse knocked them over. She literally started crying in front of me at how bad her horse became and swore shed never do it again :/
so because of that id never personally let anyone ride my horse

Quixotic 02-18-2012 07:51 PM

I think it depends what level of "beginner" the kids are. If this is a kid who is just learning how to post the trot/ask for a canter/jump an xrail, I wouldn't want to volunteer my horse. However, I do allow my trainer to use Smoke for a walk lesson with a little boy on Sunday afternoons. I know my horse is perfectly content wandering around the arena on a long rein, and I know nothing is happening that will hurt him or his training.

Lafitte 02-21-2012 04:21 PM

Well, she said the kid did good and he did good. I still don't know about the lesson thing though, I'm just worried that he's gonna like the kid (i know thats silly). Also, she's asking about showing, I haven't even showed him...I'm iffy on that subject too. What's ya'lls opinion on that?

yourcolorfuladdiction 02-23-2012 12:53 AM

Well I don't mind my horse being used in lessons every now and then, but then again we don't let kids flop around on horses backs EVER. I've even let little kids jump my pony over small jumps. I think it's good for them to get a break from the hard work and learn to appreciate our more experienced quiet leg. It's also good for getting or keeping them in shape. I let a pretty experienced girl take my pony on walking trails whether or not I've already worked her that day because walking up and down hills is excellent conditioning and on days I don't ride she's allowed to trot around with her so my pony can stretch her legs (since Sunday is my usual day off and this girl doesn't have a horse to ride).

In the way of showing I would say no. Unless that kid is half leasing your horse it would be a no go. (I mean unless it's a walk/trotter and you're already at the show and they want to only enter 1 class and will pitch in for trailering) But at our barn you don't just take someone else's horse to a show unless you're half leasing and pay for half of the horse's shoes that month.

farley 02-23-2012 01:12 AM

I let Grady be a lesson horse it is perfect for him to get some exercise. I always ride him after to make sure he is not getting sloppy but With the right students it is good! However I would never let someone ride him for several weeks/months with out my tune ups in between.

DraftyAiresMum 02-23-2012 01:45 AM

Depends on the kid and it depends on the horse. My friend allowed the trainer at our barn to use her older (early-20s) arab mare as a lesson horse for some of the little girls who were afraid of the bigger geldings the trainer usually uses (who are all older than dirt and as dead broke as you can get, but all over 15hh...my friend's mare was MAYBE 14hh). Cassie was the perfect horse for it. She tolerated the mistakes and responded appropriately to the "almost right" directions given. With the kids, she became the definition of "push button." At one point, the father of one of the little girls using Cassie for lessons offered my friend any amount of money she could name for Cassie. He started his offer at $5000. This for a $500 rescue who came to my friend skinny, wormy and a little on the crazy side.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your horse can work well with beginners and he isn't being used otherwise (by you), then why not? I would stipulate that for the first couple of lessons, you would like to be present to make sure that the kid is a good fit for your horse (you can tell if you know your horse well enough, trust me).

Saranda 02-23-2012 03:10 AM

Apart from knowing the kids and how they'd be riding your horse, you should also be sure whether your horse is suitable for it. My horse used to be a lesson horse for a short time and he absolutely hated it - tried biting the trainer in walk lessons, avoided cues, tried bucking in beginner canter lessons and was generally a trouble. Ever since he's mine, he's a whole different horse - light, responsive, attentive. All that just because he hated all those hard legs and hands of kids.