The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   A Bit Of Help Requested (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/bit-help-requested-113348/)

Translator9 02-16-2012 10:12 PM

A Bit Of Help Requested

Hi there

I would like to request a bit of unusual help. I am translating a movie from Russian, in which one of the characters is a former cavalry officer. He uses a lot of horse-terms in his speech J Now this is a light-hearted, fantasy movie and I don’t think there are likely to be many equestrian experts in my audience, but nonetheless, I would like, if possible for my character to use correct terminology and to speak like a real horse-man would.

Therefore, I would like to ask a couple of questions about terminology:
1. 1. A horse is described as a “rysak”. In Russian, this covers three breeds, which according to Russian Wiki, translate as the Orlov Trotter, the Standardbred and the French Trotter. The word covers all 3. Is the appropriate translation “trotter”? “Racehorse”? “Standardbred”? I am not as concerned about the translation being an exact match of the original, as I am about him using an authentic term that you guys would use in every day horse vernacular.
2. “The horse that passed mine by four laps?”—that’s what the literal translation, but do you say: “passed” about that type of thing? Is “beat” or another word more appropriate? He means that the other horse finished four laps ahead of his.

There may be more questions later, but that’s all for now. Anybody, who helps, may request a free copy of the movie, when I am done.

MissColors 02-16-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Translator9 (Post 1364038)
Hi there

I would like to request a bit of unusual help. I am translating a movie from Russian, in which one of the characters is a former cavalry officer. He uses a lot of horse-terms in his speech J Now this is a light-hearted, fantasy movie and I don’t think there are likely to be many equestrian experts in my audience, but nonetheless, I would like, if possible for my character to use correct terminology and to speak like a real horse-man would.

Therefore, I would like to ask a couple of questions about terminology:
1. 1. A horse is described as a “rysak”. In Russian, this covers three breeds, which according to Russian Wiki, translate as the Orlov Trotter, the Standardbred and the French Trotter. The word covers all 3. Is the appropriate translation “trotter”? “Racehorse”? “Standardbred”? I am not as concerned about the translation being an exact match of the original, as I am about him using an authentic term that you guys would use in every day horse vernacular.
2. “The horse that passed mine by four laps?”—that’s what the literal translation, but do you say: “passed” about that type of thing? Is “beat” or another word more appropriate? He means that the other horse finished four laps ahead of his.

There may be more questions later, but that’s all for now. Anybody, who helps, may request a free copy of the movie, when I am done.

I'm not to familiar with standard bred racing but standard berds are used for sulky racing. My great grand dad used to race, train, and break standard breds. You might wanna start there and nowadays people use furlongs for measurement in thoroughbred racing not sure on sulky though.