The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bucks on back leg (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bucks-back-leg-11336/)

kitten_Val 07-11-2008 05:37 PM

Bucks on back leg

Both my horses have this issue (in fact less sensitive qh more than very sensitive paint). When I move my leg little backward to give signal for canter they both REALLY hate that. And usually give the buck. Does it happen with anyone else? I do NOT use spurs or anything and do NOT kick (just squeeze little). So now I try to drive them with voice (like I do for the trot). But I'm just curious how normal it is...

Abby 07-11-2008 05:40 PM

Perhaps your too close to the flank. Its extremely sensitive. Try just rolling your leg back to just barely behind the girth and cue. I know that if move my leg back too far, Lucky will throw his head and refuse.

Vidaloco 07-12-2008 08:07 AM

Too far back would be my guess too. I saw a video once I think it was Chris Cox showing the 3 leg positions. There was to back/stop, to go on front, to go on hind and to go to the moon :lol:

My2Geldings 07-13-2008 12:16 AM

No it's not normal. I did see once a pony that had this young guy as a regular rider who would swing his leg back quite far and that would make the horses really annoyed and mad and he would kick out and swish his tail. Sometimes he would let out a big buck out of frustration. Some horses have ticklish spots. This might also be it.

Have you ruled out all possible tack fitting issues and other health problems. If they are both doing it, it's something that is happening to the both of them whether it be your riding or a piece of tack that is being used on both of them. Switching tack around, or taking a few lessons to have someone watch you from the ground might be a good option to try to figure out whats going on.

loosie 07-13-2008 12:44 AM

I too would want to completely rule out saddle & other pain/discomfort. As you're moving your leg back, you will be rolling your weight more forward on your pelvis. If the saddle isn't great, this movement will make it worse.

Other than that, sounds like your horses need more desensitisation to things like that, and to be taught to yield(respond softly with understanding) rather than react from fear or confusion. I'd be doing this from the ground first, as I think it's more effective, as well as safer.

kitten_Val 07-14-2008 06:46 AM

Thanks All! I do not think it's tack problem. My qh does it too bareback, so I assume I probably put my leg too far back. Also my paint is generally very sensitive (I can't ride in jeans, for example, but only in soft pants).

iridehorses 07-14-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val
Also my paint is generally very sensitive (I can't ride in jeans, for example, but only in soft pants).

WOW, that is a new one to me. I think I would want to look into that a little more. Hypersensitivity like that seems unusual.

kitten_Val 07-14-2008 08:46 AM

She doesn't have health issues. Just very sensitive skin (any bee or fly bite comes into big bump :? ). I used to ride in rough jeans and she was JUMPY any time I put my legs closer. Changed to the soft pants - problem disappeared. I know it's weird, but...