The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Comformation on a possible buy! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/comformation-possible-buy-113415/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-17-2012 07:35 PM

Comformation on a possible buy!

Hi everyone..I was wandering around on craigslist and this boy caught my eye. I would like to use him as a project for the summer :) what do y'all think?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/2847837682.html

Hopefully the link works
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 02-17-2012 07:51 PM

There's really only one good picture, so I'm going to base all of my comments on that.

I see a typey paint. Straight shoulders, posty legs, and fair LS joint placement. I think he might be a bit under at the knees and narrow chested. I don't like how long his pasterns or forearms are, but his hock angle is alright and his back isn't overly long. I would prefer it to be shorter, but it's not bad. His neck seems to tie in well to his withers and chest which is nice, and he has a clean head.

Overall I think he'd be fine as a trail horse or an all-arounder, but not for conpetition. I just dont see his legs holding up for a lot of stress.

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-17-2012 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. He is just now about to turn two, is it possible that he will grow out of any of that?
Posted via Mobile Device

trainerunlimited 02-17-2012 08:12 PM

I think he has decent conformation and has had great ground manners on him. I think he will be an extremely easy horse to break without too much trouble. I've seen him around for a while, love his color and dam! I'd be sure and offer a little less for him, I'm sure they'll take it!

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-17-2012 08:15 PM

I was thinking about that :) how much would you offer?
Posted via Mobile Device

trainerunlimited 02-17-2012 08:33 PM

I'd offer them $250 for him, then go up if they say no to no more than $350. They need to sell him, so probably would take that. With the market as it is, something not broke and not papered in Texas isn't even worth $250 right now, lol.

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-17-2012 08:40 PM

That is true lol its just awful...some GREAT horses are selling at dirt prices. What I want to do is break him in..then take him to some playdays and just let him stand around and get used to the commotion then maybe try him on barrels for fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-17-2012 08:43 PM

That is true lol its just awful...some GREAT horses are selling at dirt prices. What I want to do is break him in..then take him to some playdays and just let him stand around and get used to the commotion then maybe try him on barrels for fun. If my mom lets me lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 02-17-2012 08:46 PM

As a barrel horse I would avoid him. His size and weak bone structure might come back to bite him. Yes, he could grow out of some of it- such as the long pasterns, but unfortunately the narrowness and such is there to stay.

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-17-2012 08:53 PM

I was thinking for play..like loping the barrels and poles just to have some fun. He would be mainly for pushing the steers down to the shoot during ropings
Posted via Mobile Device