The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   western saddle pad question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-pad-question-113422/)

artemis72 02-17-2012 07:45 PM

western saddle pad question

I have been riding my new QH with my English tack but I am now shopping around for some western tack for her..I will be purchasing the Dakota Trail saddle. I am using a riser pad under my English saddle so when I get a pad with the western saddle will I need anything special and/or comparable to the riser pad? Hope I am making sense :wink:

SorrelHorse 02-17-2012 07:58 PM

Depends on how much padding your horse needs. You could get a thick Tacky Too pad if you need more padding, I really love them. The saddle slips forward on my mare so I use that pad and build it up, and I have a horse with high whithers too that gets that to keep the saddle up.

DrumRunner 02-18-2012 02:58 AM

It can depend on your price range too..any specific amount?

Joe4d 02-18-2012 08:19 AM

riser pads are for saddles that dont fit. SO are all the different correction pads. You are buying a new saddle, get one that fits to begin with and you only need a basic pad.

artemis72 02-18-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1366057)
It can depend on your price range too..any specific amount?

No particular price range......

DrumRunner 02-18-2012 11:07 AM

I personally love Classic Equine's line of pads...I use the contour ESP pads, I have for years and love them. If you're looking for something with a little more lift and correction I would try the Classic Equine BioFit pad. I haven't used it but I've seen it and have heard great things about it.

Joe4d 02-18-2012 11:16 AM

would you go into a shoe store, buy shoes that dont fit, then try to get special socks and inserts to get them to fit ? Probably not. Then why on earth would someone that hasnt even bought the saddle yet be looking at risers and correction pads ?

DrumRunner 02-18-2012 11:42 AM

Maybe to get an idea of what's out there? Just because they posted they are looking for a correction pad doesn't mean they are just going to run out and buy it today...

Skyseternalangel 02-18-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1366169)
riser pads are for saddles that dont fit. SO are all the different correction pads. You are buying a new saddle, get one that fits to begin with and you only need a basic pad.

Or you have a greenie (or horse with no topline) whose back is changing constantly..... can't reflock/reshape the saddle on a day to day basis now can we? :D

And for the record, I wear inserts with every shoe I wear (minus heels) because I have bad feet and I need some more support. Riser pads or correctional pads (with the shims) help with that too.