The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Rules? for cutting? (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/rules-cutting-113431/)

HarleyWood 02-17-2012 08:55 PM

Rules? for cutting?

Okay so this 3 and 4th there is a cutting show and me and my mom are going with my QH that was on a ranch for 9 years, his parents were cutters and he was used on teh ranch but hasnt been near cows in 4 to 5 years. and i wanted to know how you do it? what to do? and anything i should know before hand? i would like to do 2 to 4 maybe more every year so he has a job.

CCH 02-17-2012 08:59 PM

You mean the one at Red Horse?
Posted via Mobile Device

rob 02-18-2012 06:48 PM

harley,there are are 100 rules and 100 things you need to react to in cutting.it's not an event that a horse can do a couple times a year and be very responsive to it.

CCH 02-18-2012 08:10 PM

I don't recommend trying to show a horse who may have been a "ranch horse" at one time. Cutting horses require pretty specialized training. However, there will be a rookie class and $1,000 novice classes at that show. Those classes are not NCHA sanctioned and would be the cheapest for you.

Expect this show to be very busy! They will likely run two show pens because the awards banquet is Saturday night.

If you decide not to show, you are still more than welcome to come and watch. This is one of the best facilities I have ever been to (and I've shown in many different places west of the Mississippi). You will enjoy watching. Plus there are always horses for sale that you might even be able to try out!

HarleyWood 02-18-2012 10:07 PM

Price doesn't matter for us. I've been there many times also for barrels. This is a cutting horse and I'm more into barrles then anything I just bought 2 horses to start barrles and not looking for any more horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob 02-18-2012 10:15 PM

so harley,why did you buy a cutting horse if you are into barrels?

CCH 02-18-2012 10:18 PM

Alrighty then. Looks like we will see you there (unless it plans on snowing 8in like it did last year - I can't afford to make it a 4 day weekend)

Make sure to bring your horse's papers and a current negative coggins.

The rules can be found here: http://www.nchacutting.com/ag/judges/pdf/rule_book.pdf

Tie-downs & rope reins are not allowed; certain bits are also not allowed. The dress code is enforced because the association can be fined for not doing so (this means western attire & a hat in the loping and show pens and NO hoodies)
Posted via Mobile Device

rob 02-18-2012 10:27 PM

cch,it sounds like you've been there and done that.how long have you been cutting?

CCH 02-18-2012 10:33 PM

Started as a youth in 1996, so not as much as I would like with school & college & grad school. It's much harder to get to shows up here with the seasons & distance, and they certainly don't have near the added money that's available in the heart of cutting country. But, it's still awesome and I'll cut until I can't ride anymore (then I'll spectate, lol!)
Posted via Mobile Device

rob 02-18-2012 10:41 PM

have you ever considered 2 man sorting and how much of that do you have up there?