The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Round penning oddity (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/round-penning-oddity-113450/)

draftgrl 02-17-2012 11:43 PM

Round penning oddity

So, I could use a bit of help here.

Tonight, when I was round penning Traum on a lunge line, and I asked for a stop/ join up (whatever you want to call it). Instead of the normal horse thing (as I have experienced) walking up to your back, Traum, walked right around me and then straight up to me from the front and stopped about a foot away, which is a normal distance.

So, why would he walk all the way around?!! I have never had this happen before, and do not understand it.

Anything is appreciated!
Thanks!

usandpets 02-18-2012 12:15 AM

Because he knows he gets treats from the front side, not from behind you:lol:

Ya know he's such a smart boy!

tinyliny 02-18-2012 12:17 AM

Was he giving off aggressive vibes when you were lunging him? Was there a real change in his attitude when you took the pressure off, or did he just stop running away from you but still be outwardly focussed? I wouldn't put too much by this. He came up to you and as long as he didn't come running up to you and almost into you )(a foot is kind of close), then you should just take it and walk off and see if he'll follow along. If he doesn't, then you know he isn't really hooked on , yet.

Skyseternalangel 02-18-2012 12:44 AM

Personally, my horse refuses to stop without having both eyes interlocked with mine. So he'll do that too, keep walking until he can see my face and he'll try and point his chest at mine and stretch out to me. Least he used to but now we're working on stopping when I ask, in the same position (not turning on his forehand) so now he just keeps one ear cocked on me.

It could be a respect thing, a personality thing, a trust thing.

Either way as long as it ends on a good note and you aren't in any form of danger, it's all good!

draftgrl 02-18-2012 06:22 PM

Haha usandpets!

Yeah, there was no aggressive behavior, and he only walked up to me, no running, or trotting, walks up, stops and lowers head.

Thanks guys!

draftgrl 02-18-2012 06:25 PM

He doesn't follow all that well, not sure if he isn't hooked on all the way yet, he does keep his focus on me when I walk away though, or if he just thinks that he's supposed to stand there because I have also been working on when the rope is on the ground, he does not move. I do put the rope up on his neck when I go to walk away, and have him follow me.

Oh how I wish we had an actual round pen at the barn!

usandpets 02-18-2012 07:48 PM

I wanted to say more when I first posted but it was late. When you turned away from him, was he still going around or did he commit to turning towards you? Normally, i don't turn away unless they commit to turning in, then I turn away. If he was still going around, he might not have caught on yet that you were releasing the pressure. If he did commit to turning in, I don't know why he would do that. It's kind of hard to say without being there and seeing it but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yes, having a round pen is very helpful. Just let me know if you want me to come out and help. I'm available most nights.
Posted via Mobile Device

draftgrl 02-19-2012 06:45 PM

When I ask a horse to "join up" I completly stop moving. By the time Traum stopped moving he was behind me. So he walked straight up to me, then around to the front of me and then stopped. So I dunno, will have to see if he does it again