The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   conformation critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-critique-113466/)

horsegirlxx 02-18-2012 06:26 AM

conformation critique

6 Attachment(s)
Hi, I was just wondering if you could please judge my horses conformation.
Also, if you would be able to tell me what breed you think he is. Thanks :)

hoopla 02-18-2012 06:41 AM

Well there actually isn't a photo that's decent enough for a full critique.

The horse needs to be on a flat level surface standing side on. Then facing front and then away. With all feet underneath and weight evenly distributed.

Having said that, first off your horse is ribby and requires more weight. He's straight shoulders and stifles. Exceptionally high withers and long neck and set over on his forelegs. Feet don't look great.

Is he a breed??? I'd have thought a cross with quarterhorse somewhere there

horsegirlxx 02-18-2012 07:04 AM

kay i will try and get some
The ones where he is wearing a rope halter are more recent, before those were taken he was ribby so put him on more hay. With the high withers I was told that was because he has a sway back . .
With everything else you said are these issues, like can anything bad happen off them.
He is registered appaloosa, but I got told he looks barely anything like this, so i checked his pedigree and found out he is appaloosa/quarterhorse/thoroughbred.

hoopla 02-18-2012 09:07 AM

I'm not sure what that loop is under his neck but if its I any way anything other than not fasrened then it's so slack he could easily get a front foot stuck through it.

His breeding isn't a surprise considering his looks.

How old is he? Is he sound? Being ridden? What's his routine in terms of turnout and feed? Is he newly acquired by you and if so, do you know what he was doing?

I'd encourage you to concentrate on building condition and developing musculature with a progressive programme of activity and with feed appropriate to his activity.

annaleah 02-18-2012 10:02 AM

He looks all TB to me...but I may be wrong...he sure is a pretty thing tho..kinda hard to critique the right way...maybe someone else can critique better...

horsegirlxx 02-18-2012 01:18 PM

Hoopla - he is 5 years old, is sound. gets ridden 3-5 times a week 30-60 minutes a session and we are just doing training stuff at the moment, so stuff like balancing him out (he forges), working on the walk trot and canter, and riding along roads getting used to traffic. He is outside 24/7 and gets 2 biscuits oaten hay morning and night, may be getting a round bale soon. I have had him for almost a year now.
Annaleah - yeah I have had a lot of people say he looks more tb, which is weird because the tb is from his great grandfather. And thanks he is a gorgeous boy :)
Posted via Mobile Device

GotaDunQH 02-18-2012 05:52 PM

Need much better pics....sorry. There was a post on here about taking correct conformation pictures. But in essence, you need to a side shot with the horse standing absolutely square on level ground, with the shot taken from the center of the horse's barrel.

equiniphile 02-18-2012 08:18 PM

What can we tell? Nothing. Take some pictures of him from the side, standing on level ground, with his feet all squared up and head raised at the height of his withers.

palominolover 02-18-2012 08:55 PM

What is around your horses neck in the second last and last photo? =/

horsegirlxx 02-19-2012 04:04 AM

its a leadrope coz he was out eating grass at an emptylot next to where i live