The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Therapeutic Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/)
-   -   hippo therapy PATH certification (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/hippo-therapy-path-certification-113482/)

cmarie 02-18-2012 12:07 PM

hippo therapy PATH certification

Does any one out there have a Path certification? Can you tell me about the process?

Amlalriiee 04-03-2012 06:38 PM

Well, I am not yet certified, I'm actually just starting the process. However, there are two ways to do it:

1. attend an approved training course, usually around $3500 and requires you to be there for 2-3 months full time to finish your certification. This would be fantastic experience, but if you're anything like me you'll never go away like this unless you happen to be close enough to live at home while attending one of them--I'm not. I know there's one in NJ, CT, NH, TX, and CA.

2. This is what I'm doing. You apply. If accepted, you take two short online courses and have to pass the tests for each of those courses. Then, you complete 25 hours of mentored instruction as a volunteer....and then you go to a 4 day OSWC (on-site workshop and certification). The workshop/cert is about $700 and the application process including books and stuff is a little over $200. PLUS, you can stay home right up until the workshop. AND the workshops are held at much more locations than the approved training courses are...

This is just a summary....all the details are on the PATH website. Pathintl.org

I printed the riding instructor certification program manual and that's been all the info I've needed.

cmarie 04-03-2012 07:35 PM

Thank you, what certification are you going for I understand there are different ones.

Amlalriiee 04-06-2012 05:17 PM

Well, the PATH instructor certification is the regular one for mounted activities, so that's what I'm going for. There are different levels of certification, so I'm going for "registered" I think....maybe "advanced" if I can pull it off, but I know that requires a lot more experience hours so I haven't looked into that part a whole lot yet because the start of the process is the same either way.

HeidiJ 06-26-2013 10:09 AM

Good for you! I went through this process a few years ago. I did the online work then did my 3 day in Chicago. I passed :) You can too!

egrogan 06-26-2013 12:08 PM

Cmaire, hippo is a pretty different activity than therapeutic riding. My understanding is that instructors in hippo are certified physical therapists. Riding instructors, which is the certification you get from PATH, are bringing a different approach to equine assisted activities. You asked specifically about hippo- are you a physical therapist? Or are you looking to give more traditional riding lessons?

I'm in the midst of PATH certification, so happy to answer specific questions.