The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How do you save money? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-do-you-save-money-113508/)

MisssMarie 02-18-2012 04:58 PM

How do you save money?

I read an article in a magazine about money saving tips and I was thinking we could all share our tips and ideas here! Here's how I save money:
Glycerine soap instead of saddle soap
Squeegee instead of sweat scraper (cheaper for some reason)
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 02-18-2012 06:51 PM

ACV for rinsing off sweat from horses, or the soap. This cuts down on the amount of water needed to rinse, as it kills the soap. And only use Heinz as the others are made out of corn. Will say on back what they are. Also puts one heck of shine.

Rub rags instead of Show Sheen. 12x12 squares of old sheets, used with plenty of elbow grease, does wonders to produce a shiny coat, and pulls out dead hair and dirt too.

Wintergreen rubbing alcohol for strapping legs, and massaging muscles.

Searching for gently used tack or show items.

Taking care of the things I do already own, keeping them clean, put up, and oiled and polished.

MHFoundation Quarters 02-18-2012 07:02 PM

Save money? That's an oxymoron when you own horses :wink:

I try to buy in bulk when I can. Bedding, shots (get a discount when you buy 10 or more doses), feed - when I buy a pallet at a time I get 10% off.

I have one lesson family that "volunteers" their 3 teenage boys to help put up hay every year and I pay them with lessons for their sisters in exchange.

Slick & Easy grooming blocks, buy in large block form from restaurant supply place (they are the same thing that's used to clean flat top grills) & cut my own. I get about 8-10 out of a block that costs about $2. The horse marketed ones are almost 5 a piece.

I take advantage of the "bucket sales" at Rural King or TSC whenever I see them in their ads. I get all the small odds & ends I need & stuff the bucket full, get 10% off whatever you can fit in the bucket and have the extra bucket...can never have too many buckets. It really saved when I bought fencing supplies this last year, I left with buckets full of electric fence insulators, hot rope, gate hangers, etc.

Saddlebag 02-18-2012 07:07 PM

If we didn't own horses we could afford sports cars.

VT Trail Trotters 02-18-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisssMarie (Post 1366618)
I read an article in a magazine about money saving tips and I was thinking we could all share our tips and ideas here! Here's how I save money:
Glycerine soap instead of saddle soap
Squeegee instead of sweat scraper (cheaper for some reason)
Posted via Mobile Device

For your 2nd one i use my hand its free and always connected.

MHFoundation Quarters 02-18-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1366779)
If we didn't own horses we could afford sports cars.

Darn right! I test drove a new Shelby GT-500 yesterday when I took my car in to the dealership. The whole way home after driving it I was thinking "Hmm, which horses should I sell so I can have that snake?" :lol:

Foxhunter 02-19-2012 12:53 AM

A length of bailer twine scraped down a horse works as well as any sweat scraper.

I agree that 'rub rags' are better than any show sheen.

Although not a money saver, three of the ball shaped stainless steel pot scourers unravelled and plaited together make the best mud remover ever. Horses don't mind them being used either.

waresbear 02-19-2012 01:03 AM

I save money by only owning 2 horses:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

waresbear 02-19-2012 01:04 AM

And not hiring the stable boy, I so desperately wanted.

gingerscout 02-19-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1366792)
Darn right! I test drove a new Shelby GT-500 yesterday when I took my car in to the dealership. The whole way home after driving it I was thinking "Hmm, which horses should I sell so I can have that snake?" :lol:

first off I save money by working off what i can for board and lessons and such... but why a gt-500.. Its the only ford I would consider driving.. and thats pushing it.. rather have a corvette, or if need more than 2 seats a cadillac cts-v, I can get both for cheaper.. and for the most part are even faster...he he he:wink::lol: