The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint/Medicine boots?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cuttinmom 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I've never really had to deal with any sort of boot/bell boot until I got Moose. I usually put rubber bell boots on him already because he over reaches badly. Now I was talking to my trainer today and she said I should probably buy Moo a pair of splint boots if i ever wana barrel race or jump because he does over reach so badly. She also said he could eventually get ouchy and maybe even abcess because of it(?)-I might be wrong there.

Anyway could anyone explain to me the purpose of these boots and if I should actually purchase a pair? Could you also explain to me how they work and what purpose they will serve on my horse. This is the first time I've ever had I deal with a bad over-reacher.

And for those who say trimmings can help it, it hasn't. His back feet aren't long and I brought it up to my farrier and he suspected Moose had cut himself because he was stuck in the mud and pulled his back leg out of the mud and obviously must have clipped his front pretty good. (was really muddy the week in happend) He didn't seem too concerned when I asked him if we should maybe square his back feet alittle.

Any info would greatly help!
Posted via Mobile Device

See less See more
#2 ·
Splint boots and bell boots are designed specifically for over reachers who are hitting their legs. They don't really offer support as much as protection. If you want support AND protection...Well I think the best you're going to do is a pair of Legacy boots/SMBs and bell boots (I don't like rubber bell boots...You can buy some Classic Equine No-turn DSLs for cheap and I personally feel they are better at protecting the leg)

I personally will always barrel race with bell boots but support boots vs. splint boots depends on the horse. If he really is overreaching that bad, get some splints. There won't be support but it'll keep him from laming himself up. And get the hard ones, not the soft floppy $1 ones.....

#3 ·
I have a pair of noturn bells and there okay but I would only use them to race in rather then when I just get on and plop around.

Now what would be good splints? Leather ones?
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.