The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Horse drifts to gate... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/horse-drifts-gate-113560/)

howrsegirl123 02-18-2012 11:46 PM

Horse drifts to gate...

Not really an English riding topic, but still...my horse has a bad tendency to drift toward the gate while in the arena. When I try to put him back on course he pulls on my hands. What should I do?

cakemom 02-19-2012 12:01 AM

Close that leg and don't let him do it, that's what I have been taught.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-19-2012 12:04 AM

Take him to that gate and work him. Hard. He thinks that gate is where he gets to relax, leave the arena, and be untacked. He needs to not think that.

Allison Finch 02-19-2012 12:15 AM

When he drifts to the gate, he is leading with his outside shoulder (called "popping" his shoulder). When you pull on the inside rein to pull him away, you are popping that shoulder even more. You cannot solve this with your hands. As was already said, you need to fix it with your outside leg. When he "bows" out, put your outside leg at the girth and push (or kick, if needed) to push that shoulder back, straightening him out. Then ride the straighter horse forward past the gate. After several strong "straightenings" he may see that as an unpleasant thing to try.

tinyliny 02-19-2012 12:59 AM

All of the above. seriously.

cakemom 02-20-2012 12:09 AM

Yup, what Allison said is what my trainer means by close that leg. One of the barn guys I ride is gate magnetized.
Posted via Mobile Device

mildot 02-20-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1367201)
Take him to that gate and work him. Hard. He thinks that gate is where he gets to relax, leave the arena, and be untacked. He needs to not think that.

I agree and would go one better. Take him out through the gate, get halfway to the barn, then turn around go back to the arena and make him sweat right by the gate.

SorrelHorse 02-20-2012 03:40 PM

Lol the last time my horse tried to pull gate problems on me she spent the next half and hour getting her butt scooted around in a circle until she was THRILLED to get to go work in the arena.

MyBoyPuck 02-20-2012 09:37 PM

All of the above. Close the door. Outside leg, outside rein, carry crop on outside, ride shoulder out if necessary to get your point across that this will not be allowed to continue.