The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   My Horse Doesn't Like Movement (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/my-horse-doesnt-like-movement-113563/)

Erille 02-18-2012 10:59 PM

My Horse Doesn't Like Movement

My horse - a 10 year old Quarter Horse mix - is a pretty good horse. Except for her occasional stubbornness and being scared of things I can't see. And then she has that little problem of not moving.
She only likes to walk around the arena and will trot when she gets close to the gate, since she's a little barn sour. In the round pen, she's trot a little but I've never gotten to canter. Ever.
I've used a crop but it doesn't seem to work much. Any ideas?

tinyliny 02-19-2012 12:14 AM

make it work! I know that sounds simple, but seriously, you can make that horse move if you are really firm with your body language and back it up with the crop. Get a longer whip, if necessary lay it on the horse's hiney, but make sure you are far enough away to not get kicked. a crop is too short.

look at some videos of how round penning is done, and imitate that movement. If ou can get the hrose moveing in the round pen, it will be a good start toward making it move in the arena.

WesternBella 02-19-2012 12:16 AM

Horses are naturally scared of any type of things that move, their eyes pick up on movement, it's natural and there's nothing wrong with your horse, it's just how horses are in general.

As for the not moving part, do whatever you can to MAKE that pony move. I ocassionally have trouble with trying to make my horse go to a certain area of the arena, but never getting him to move. He cues up very nicely.

Basically, I'm not the greatest person to help you with this but I wish you luck!! Maybe look up a thread about barn sour horses?
Posted via Mobile Device