The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Left Hoof Pointing Out! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/left-hoof-pointing-out-113593/)

Sam23 02-19-2012 10:40 AM

Left Hoof Pointing Out!

My 4 1/2 yr old Mustang/Quarter horse mare had a pretty bad abscess in her front left hoof. It started near the toe and the farrier dug it out and it started to seem better but then came out the cornet band. The vet and farrier suggest shoes when it started to grow out the toe b/c she was tender.

Now she is doing a lot better but now it is turning out toward the outside (left) and so does the other hoof(also pointing to the left) but no where near as bad. I can't really tell if it is the hoof or the fetlock. Do you think if could possibly be from the shoeing or the abscess? She was a little bit off a couple days after she was shoed last week but I just thought it was b/c she had just had new shoes.

WesternBella 02-19-2012 12:34 PM

Picture?
Posted via Mobile Device

Horseman56 02-19-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam23 (Post 1367694)
My 4 1/2 yr old Mustang/Quarter horse mare had a pretty bad abscess in her front left hoof. It started near the toe and the farrier dug it out and it started to seem better but then came out the cornet band. The vet and farrier suggest shoes when it started to grow out the toe b/c she was tender.

Now she is doing a lot better but now it is turning out toward the outside (left) and so does the other hoof(also pointing to the left) but no where near as bad. I can't really tell if it is the hoof or the fetlock. Do you think if could possibly be from the shoeing or the abscess? She was a little bit off a couple days after she was shoed last week but I just thought it was b/c she had just had new shoes.

Could be residual discomfort. Could be medial/lateral imbalance at the heels.

Hold each leg in turn, such that the limb is roughly ground parallel. Look down and across the sole plane of the hoof.

Does the outside heel of the left foot appear lower than the inside heel?
Does the inside heel of the right foot appear lower than the outside heel?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then the issue is likely medial/lateral imbalance.

Share any concerns with your farrier and give him/her a chance to review the situation.

Cheers,
Mark