The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Supplement for gut? Will taking them off a gut supplement make them more prone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/supplement-gut-will-taking-them-off-113608/)

Moei 02-19-2012 12:49 PM

Supplement for gut? Will taking them off a gut supplement make them more prone?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good supplement for a healthy gut? Like ulcer guard and to promote healthy gut function? Also once you put a horse on a gut supplement can you take them off of it with out them becoming more prone to gut issues? Like if i want to only give a gut supplement during show season then take him off of it in the winter?

minihorse927 02-19-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moei (Post 1367816)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good supplement for a healthy gut? Like ulcer guard and to promote healthy gut function? Also once you put a horse on a gut supplement can you take them off of it with out them becoming more prone to gut issues? Like if i want to only give a gut supplement during show season then take him off of it in the winter?

I have 2 ulcer cases here right now and both of them are on ranitidine all the time and also on Anigest. I can remove the anigest and it does not seem to change anything but I cannot remove the ranitidine because their ulcers flare. I have used G.U.T by Uckele (gastric ulcer transnutrient) when they have ulcer flares and it helps with the meds to calm their bellies back down.

If the horse has no ulcer problems now and you use gastroguard or ranitidine while showing, it should not cause them to get ulcers by taking them back off. If it was me I would not give gastroguard or ranitidine unless you think the horse is getting ulcers during show season. I would instead use the G.U.T or Anigest or optizyme. I like Anigest and G.U.T the best. G.U.T smells like hot chocolate powder and the horses love the stuff too! Anigest does not smell as good but is a little cheaper and seems to work just as well.
G.U.T by Uckele Horse Products

Anigest by Animed Horse Products

Moei 02-19-2012 01:06 PM

what is the price for the antigest? it doesn't say in the link you posted. also has anyone ever used SmartGut?

minihorse927 02-19-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moei (Post 1367835)
what is the price for the antigest? it doesn't say in the link you posted. also has anyone ever used SmartGut?

Here is a link from equine now with a price for it. They say one 5lb bucket can last up to 53 days. It depends on whether you feed the lower amount or the higher amounts. I ordered my buckets of Anigest from TSC and paid $36.00 for them including shipping. Buying from equine now will run about .48 per day. Seems they want almost $12 for shipping though.
AniMed AniGest

The G.U.T supplement will last about 60 days if used on the low dose. That is expected for a 2lb bucket. Costs about .75 a day. They want $11 in shipping.

Those per day prices did not factor in shipping!

Rachel1786 02-19-2012 01:36 PM

I use animed ulc-r-aid for my mare. I get it at horse.com for about 43. I also use ranitidine when she has a flare up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eta: that price is for 10lbs and lasts 3-5 months depending on dose.

BeamerCorgi 02-19-2012 03:01 PM

Gang, go look up EquiOtic and watch the video. My vet just turned me onto it. He does alot of trials for the clinics in Lexington, KY. This is a new technology in which they actually take a bacteria from the horse. This is the first time it has been done in strength. We have one horse on the barn started on it and the owner says that the horse is not as uncomfortable. I watched the video and read the research on the website and it seems pretty straight forward. The guy that developed it I do know is one of the top equine internists in the country. So far, so good. I had no idea how probiotics really worked or didn't until I read the studies.

minihorse927 02-19-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamerCorgi (Post 1368005)
Gang, go look up EquiOtic and watch the video. My vet just turned me onto it. He does alot of trials for the clinics in Lexington, KY. This is a new technology in which they actually take a bacteria from the horse. This is the first time it has been done in strength. We have one horse on the barn started on it and the owner says that the horse is not as uncomfortable. I watched the video and read the research on the website and it seems pretty straight forward. The guy that developed it I do know is one of the top equine internists in the country. So far, so good. I had no idea how probiotics really worked or didn't until I read the studies.

I just watched the video and read some of the article, I might actually look into ordering some of it and trying it.

ETA: Tried to go on their website and it says "member only" password required! What the heck?

BeamerCorgi 02-19-2012 11:25 PM

I just went on in my Firefox browser and got the same thing but I then opened up my Safari browser and got right in. Try explorer or another one.

I really appreciate the feedback. I did alot of the reading and was very impressed. I am glad you saw what I did. I thought I was crazy. We see alot of new things since we are near to Lexington. The vets use us as Guinea pigs!

1RedHorse 02-19-2012 11:36 PM

Yep...a good diet.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

minihorse927 02-19-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamerCorgi (Post 1368822)
I just went on in my Firefox browser and got the same thing but I then opened up my Safari browser and got right in. Try explorer or another one.

I really appreciate the feedback. I did alot of the reading and was very impressed. I am glad you saw what I did. I thought I was crazy. We see alot of new things since we are near to Lexington. The vets use us as Guinea pigs!

I am using firefox also, but have tried explorer and get the same result. Oh well. I am about 1.5hours from Lexington so I will just ask one or both of the vets I use and see if they heard of it/have access to it. The one is strictly a horse vet and the other is an everyday large animal vet.