The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   help finding trail buddies please (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/help-finding-trail-buddies-please-113686/)

shandasue 02-19-2012 11:19 PM

help finding trail buddies please

hello! i seen a post of some one else looking for some horse friends and yall seemed to be very helpful:), mind helping me?
i live in w.v. and ride alone, i have a friend who rides but latley she just thinks her s*it dont stink!! i also know an older guy who has TWH and saddlebreds and i help him ride, prepare for shows, and i clean stalls for him. but he doesnt trail ride but maybe once a year. im really bored with the same ole thing, but i still love riding. i have two horses and i have the random friend who comes up and rides my "kid safe" horse on short trail rides with me. the place my older friend (tom) shows at is mainly just gaided horse people an i dont think they do much besides the shows. i looked for a wv horse forum but didnt find anything but i just have my crappy little phone to search on and its aggervating.
sombody could be really nice and add a link too a good site to go too:)
thanks in advance..
Posted via Mobile Device

Lockwood 02-19-2012 11:49 PM

The Trail Rider Magazine | Equisearch.com
-has an online community

Equestrian Group, Equestrian Community, Horse Trail Riding :: Trail Town USA
-variety of links I haven't explored yet

http://www.actha.us/home
-this one had a Find a Buddy section

Hopefully one of these might help. :)

shandasue 02-20-2012 01:46 AM

thanks lockwood
Posted via Mobile Device

Mellow Mel 02-20-2012 08:23 AM

I have actually hooked up with a lot of people by becoming with the feed store lady. She helped me find my new barn and has helped me in a lot of ways. Go to the local feed store...they know everyone.

Lockwood 02-20-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shandasue (Post 1368947)
thanks lockwood
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome :)

I second Mellow Mel. While the chain feed stores (ie: TSC) usually have a bulliten board to post farm/horse stuff on, the local mom/pop feed store people seem to know what is happening in the local area.

Another thought... in my area there are tack swaps and horsey events when the weather is nice. Maybe just go to one to meet people and network. I have plans to attend several events that I actually have no interest in the exact event itself, but I know there will be a lot of people to meet and get to know.
I have other farm critters and I do this for those venues too. I have met a good many people just "hanging out" at a show, seminar, or whatever. One of the mom/pop feed stores here puts on several get togethers for local folks each summer. BBQ's, antique tractor shows, pony show off's and what not just to get local people together.
(Well, that and fostering their good image so you buy from them instead of TSC.)

farley 02-20-2012 02:52 PM

ride in high horse owner communities, try craigslist, posting adds in papers, go to play day and events if just to go and meet people.
I found my trail buddies through clients and neighbors.

shandasue 02-20-2012 05:30 PM

thanks everyone, sounds like some good ideas although there are no play days or any other kind of events around here, i keep a very close eye out for that stuff. tom was trying to get the show going in this area agian but i dont think its gona work out. my family has a thing callled a tradeday, idk if yall know what that is but its kinda like a huge redneck yard sale down by the river, people bring all sorts of stuff and we always take are horses down. we were gonna try to have a little contest thing with are horses to try to get more horse people to come around but we wernt allowed to put a ring there:(
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-20-2012 06:45 PM

how far is graves mt VA from you ? bunch of are going soon.

WickedNag 02-20-2012 11:20 PM

I saw an ad on Craig's list for someone looking for riding buddies on a local group trail ride. I answered the ad and invited her to join the group I ride with and we became friends. Good luck

phantomhorse13 02-20-2012 11:22 PM

Not sure what part of West Virginia you are in, but the Randolph County Regional Riding Club sure seems like a fun group. They put on one of my favorite endurance rides every year in August, but from listening to the members talking around camp, they do a lot of other things throughout the year.