The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   She is dragging her foot ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/she-dragging-her-foot-11369/)

lacyloo 07-12-2008 12:19 PM

She is dragging her foot ?

Ok

Last night Iwent out to check on my horse and she is slightly limping. The back right leg, when she moves ,she picks it up and the top of the hoof slides on the ground... ?

It dont seem to be as bad this morning though,. Should I stall her ? So she want be walking on the leg as much ?

barefoothooves 07-12-2008 01:00 PM

She's dragging her toe in the dirt when she walks? Any swelling in her hock/stifle areas? Does she hesitate to move forward or just as willing as normal, with the toe dragging added in? Any heat anywhere in her leg/hoof when compared to the other leg? Does the hip drop when she tries to put weight on the leg? Is she standing around and constantly resting this leg?

She may have just pulled something goofing off in the pasture. It could be more serious, but right now I think I'd just watch and let her take it easy.

In the abscence of blood/obvious swelling, etc, I personally would allow her to remain on turnout. Seems most gimpiness is made worse by confinement, unless there's something obvious like broken bone or inflamed tendon, especially since it has improved overnight. Unless, of course she has a bully of a pasturemate that may pick on her excessively, then I would remove her from the herd.

lacyloo 07-12-2008 02:15 PM

Ok I just looked at her and she must have pulled a muscle or somthing , because she is barely limping now.. just picked her back hoof and noticed, It stinks really bad,. like a dead odor.. Could that have been causing the problem?

barefoothooves 07-12-2008 04:06 PM

Any gross black or snotty looking funk coming out? Could have an abscess that just popped.Once the pressure is released the pain is alleviated. Could be a thrush infection. Soaking her foot in 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and warm water for about 20 min will help clean it up, and kill thrush, or cleanse an abscess hole. After you soak, look at the foot closer for a hole somewhere. Even if she has no hoof issue, the soak won't hurt her.

If it's a muscle or something, the hoof soak won't help, but it won't hurt to get a good look since you smell somthing suspicious. Usually, they don't drag toes over thrush/abscesses, but if she's already feeling better that's a good sign. She may just have stinky poo in her foot that needs to be picked out (a coindcidence).

lacyloo 07-12-2008 04:08 PM

thanks im about to soak it..