The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Navicular? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/navicular-1137/)

prettypalfrey 03-16-2007 09:28 PM

Navicular?

My horse has the early signs of navicular. When will she be unable to be used what does anyone suggest I do?

Thanks

meggymoo 03-17-2007 08:01 AM

Hi, sorry about your mare. :cry:
Have you spoke to your vet & farrier? What treatment have they suggested?
I dont think anyone will be able to give you an answer as to when your mare will or will not be able to be used.
Your mare, herself it the best person to tell you if enough is enough.
There's lots of different treatments available nowadays, corrective shoes, nerve blocks, various drugs or anti inflammatorys which act on the circulation to increase blood flow to the navicular bone.
Speak to your vet and farrier, they will be able to advise you of the best way forward.
Hope they can sort something out for you both. :wink: Let us know how you go on. x

prettypalfrey 03-17-2007 10:18 AM

Thank you

It was actually an accident that they found it she got a stifle injury and when he checked her he found the signs of navicualr, she is 18 but such a good girl She is my first horse, and I have only had her for three yrs. She is my forever horse whether I can ride her or not

meggymoo 03-17-2007 01:09 PM

Thats lovely that you'll keep her whatever the outcome.
:cry: There some people out there that wouldn't. I'm sure both farrier and the vet could come up with some kind of treatment, that would enable her to keep in light/medium work. There are alot of horses that with treatment continue to be ridden etc.

I really hope you can sort something out for you both. :D

Both of you take care, and keep us posted how you get on. x

KANSAS_TWISTER 03-18-2007 02:24 AM

have you contacted u of guelph equine division to see if they have any studies on it?i use to fox hunt with a woman who had her horse deneverd.

prettypalfrey 03-18-2007 09:37 AM

No I havn't I will be starting a course there (on-line) but I bet if I asked they will help. The sad thing is I just started loping a flying lead changes and I am sure I won't be doing much of that now. My horse is amazing whether she is ridden r not though. I only hope I can afford two

KANSAS_TWISTER 03-18-2007 08:22 PM

just don't write her off just yet......QH's are prone to it...it's sad...i found that when i lived up in canada that more Qh's where prone to it (bred top heavy) and over worked (hunting season) and then left to sit till the next season, but if you can try to get some one from guelph to help you out or even .k.e.r (kentucky equine research)

prettypalfrey 03-19-2007 09:07 AM

I won't write her off I just don't want to hurt her. I have seen too many people ride their horses when they shouldn't. I will see what I can do either way because she's an amazing horse.

Curly 03-22-2007 08:12 PM

My wife lost a very good horse to navicular, we ended up having to put him down. My sister had her show horse get it as well. We did the nerve block and it gave her a few more years with the horse.

Very sad, a person puts so much time and money into a horse then they get crippled up this way. :(

prettypalfrey 03-24-2007 09:03 PM

I suppose in a way my horse is lucky. She is 18 and has had a pretty good life. I have owned her for three of them. Whatever happens happens shes still my baby