The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   I rode Gem! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/i-rode-gem-11373/)

appylover31803 07-12-2008 03:18 PM

I rode Gem!

After getting permission from the vet to lightly ride Gem 10-15 min, i decided today would be the day I'd get back on him.

Tacking up went smoothly. Which was good because usually he'd throw a little fit when I would tighten the girth, but he didn't today.

I put my vest on as a "just in case he does something silly again", but it really wasn't needed.

I got on him and just let him do his own thing for 8 min. We walked a few times around the ring and then he wanted to stare at the donkies and at Vega and Sneakers.

His walk was amazing! It wasn't choppy as it always was, and his stops were so much smoother! I am just so proud of him!

Next time i ride him, Tom's coming up, so i'll get some pictures!

HorsesAreForever 07-12-2008 06:16 PM

congrats!! you must be soo happy! Gems finally pulling threw everything :) [[[hugs]]]

Vidaloco 07-12-2008 06:38 PM

How long has it been since he was ridden? If its been awhile then thats even better that he did so well. Look forward to some photos :D

PoptartShop 07-12-2008 06:49 PM

Aww congrats, Appy! :D I'm glad Gem was good for you, that's awesome.

barefoothooves 07-12-2008 06:51 PM

Hooray! :D

appylover31803 07-12-2008 08:53 PM

I believe i fell off sometime in.. April? And that was like a 5 min ride or so before i fell off. Before that the last time he was ridden was June or July or 07

So it's been a good while.
We do just have to see how he's doing tomorrow and guage if he can go longer of if we have to cut back the time. Hopefully though with his new joint supplement, he'll continue to improve.

Though seeing him turned out, with him cantering and bucking, you'd think he was fine. Silly Pony.

kickshaw 07-13-2008 03:27 AM

that's so awesome when everything comes together the way you want it to. Also great news about the way he moves - - has to be that his toes are feeling better!

appylover31803 07-13-2008 03:43 AM

I definitely agree Kickshaw!

Hopefully he wont be lame or sensitive tomorrow and i'll ride him again... maybe. But i'm just glad to have gotten over that hurdle

My2Geldings 07-16-2008 12:08 AM

Congrats! good for you! It can be hard sometimes to get back on after you've hurt yourself. Good for you for getting over that hump and having such a good ride:D

Will be looking forwards to pictures:)

appylover31803 07-16-2008 12:06 PM

The funny thing is, i've fallen off horses before and gotten right back on them.. but i guess in a way i knew it was going to happen. Gem just caught me by surprise, and i was nervous on the inside about getting back on him.

I'm glad too that i got over the hurdle.. i will tell Tom to come up this weekend and take pictures.