The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   picking up feet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/picking-up-feet-113762/)

aliHall131 02-20-2012 02:27 PM

picking up feet

Hi I am a new member and after some help . I am looking after an 18 month old section D colt who has not had much handlimg over the last 6 months . he is great to rug , catch , lead etc . I can rub over his back with a large plastic bag but he is not happy having his feet picked up to the point where he trys to kick you , has anyone got any top tips . :-(

Cinnys Whinny 02-20-2012 02:56 PM

My number 1 tip is HAVE PATIENCE. Don't try to be too impatient with him, just give him time to get used to it. #2, pick up his feet often, not just for picking. Every time you think of it, ask to pick up a foot.

When you are asking for a hind, make sure you are beside the horse, not directly behind him. You should be able to lean your shoulder against his hip. Also, it helps you out if you try to pick up from the knee with your inside hand then once the foot is raised move down to the foot.

When I first got Cin, he wouldn't pick up his feet for anything. It took about 2 months of constant diligence before he started really being good with it, so have patience, it's not going to happen over night. Now, two years later, I only have to bend over by his leg and he picks up that foot. It's kind of irritating though when you want to put his boots on him, LOL.

Lakotababii 02-20-2012 05:15 PM

For back feet, use a rope. Loop the rope around his back foot and then, holding both ends, pick up the foot. You don't have to worry about getting kicked this way. Then, when he relaxes and stops fussing, let his foot down.

aliHall131 02-21-2012 03:33 PM

picking up feet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakotababii (Post 1369978)
For back feet, use a rope. Loop the rope around his back foot and then, holding both ends, pick up the foot. You don't have to worry about getting kicked this way. Then, when he relaxes and stops fussing, let his foot down.

. Thanks for that , how do I get the rope round his foot any tips

aliHall131 02-21-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 1369741)
My number 1 tip is HAVE PATIENCE. Don't try to be too impatient with him, just give him time to get used to it. #2, pick up his feet often, not just for picking. Every time you think of it, ask to pick up a foot.

When you are asking for a hind, make sure you are beside the horse, not directly behind him. You should be able to lean your shoulder against his hip. Also, it helps you out if you try to pick up from the knee with your inside hand then once the foot is raised move down to the foot.

When I first got Cin, he wouldn't pick up his feet for anything. It took about 2 months of constant diligence before he started really being good with it, so have patience, it's not going to happen over night. Now, two years later, I only have to bend over by his leg and he picks up that foot. It's kind of irritating though when you want to put his boots on him, LOL.

Thanks for the help got to pick his front feet up tonight just for a couple of seconds but its a start :-P

usandpets 02-21-2012 03:39 PM

Instead of looping the rope around his back legs, first just toss the rope around/ near his back legs so he gets used to being touched there. He may kick out or move away at first. Just keep doing it until he stands still and relaxes. Then you should be able to loop around his back legs. Do the tossing of the rope for several days first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lakotababii 02-21-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1371784)
Instead of looping the rope around his back legs, first just toss the rope around/ near his back legs so he gets used to being touched there. He may kick out or move away at first. Just keep doing it until he stands still and relaxes. Then you should be able to loop around his back legs. Do the tossing of the rope for several days first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes this exactly. Always desensitize. It will also make him more comfortable with you being back there. If he kicks out with you just getting near his back end, then you need to work on that before you try to work with his feet. Desensitizing with a rope will help a lot.