The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Name that mystery-breed - Piebald edition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/name-mystery-breed-piebald-edition-113764/)

freia 02-20-2012 03:35 PM

Name that mystery-breed - Piebald edition

3 Attachment(s)
My first horse was a lovely little Piebald. She was a rescue horse that needed a kid, and she ended up on our doorstep. Nobody knew anything about her background, other than that she was severely neglected, and was 18-20 years old. I never wondered what she might be. All that mattered was that she was mine.
My kids have been going through my old pictures, wanting to know everything and anything about every horse they find in there.
They're fascinated about what breed she might be. I haven't a clue. She came from north-central Idaho. She must have stood between 13-14 hands. She was the undisputed herd leader and matriarch. She protected all the herd foals with her life. In her old age, she could go as far as I could stand to, and could easily carry a full-grown man. She loved to jump. No fence or cattle guard had any hope of containing her. After jumping 3 sets of fences to "visit" the neighborhood champion Morgan stallion, she came to be known as "hot-pants". She seemed to have no cattle-sense whatsoever. Purely a very sure-footed, strong, un-spookable trail-horse.

Any ideas what she may have been?

Cinnys Whinny 02-20-2012 03:41 PM

Hey, that looks a lot like my friends Gypsy horse! Maybe it has gypsy or some other "heavy" breed mixed in... but I think it looks very gypsy in my opinion.

SorrelHorse 02-20-2012 03:49 PM

Maybe a draft/paint cross? Or a gypsy cross? Not sure what she would have crossed with though...

freia 02-20-2012 03:56 PM

I've never heard of Gypsy. I had to look that one up, for sure. I think you guys might be onto something. Her legs were feathered, but not as much as a pure Gypsy. The rest of the description for the gypsy sure fits though: powerful compact strong neck and back, big bones, good endurance, strong, piebald, silky mane and coat... Must have been mixed with something, though.
There was no other horse in the area that looked anything like her. She definitely didn't come from any of those mares/studs. They were mostly QH, Appies, and Morgans. I don't see any of those breeds in her. If only she could have talked. What stories she must have been able to tell.

SorrelHorse 02-20-2012 04:05 PM

Well she certainly is gorgeous. She could potentially be a gypsy crossed with a QH or a paint. Not that gyspys are very tall anyway but if she got the stocky QH and Gypsy build with the gypsy color and still some gypsy feathering but not a whole lot, plus being shorter....

ginofalltrades 02-20-2012 04:19 PM

The horse doesn't look overly feathery, so maybe a Percheron x Paint/Pinto. The 3 P's...

Cinnys Whinny 02-20-2012 04:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures I took of some Gypsys at Renaissance Faire a few years ago. I think there are some similarities.

Attachment 89112

Attachment 89113

Attachment 89114

Attachment 89115

SorrelHorse 02-20-2012 04:29 PM

The more I look at her the more I think that ginofalltrades is probably right. Actually she kinda looks like some of the PMU mares I've seen (Draftxpony cross?) Just throwing out possibilities now :)

ginofalltrades 02-20-2012 04:36 PM

I also noticed that the photo's were taken at the tail end of winter, this horse may not have exibited much feathering at all in the summer, when the coat was much lighter.

freia 02-20-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginofalltrades (Post 1369822)
I also noticed that the photo's were taken at the tail end of winter, this horse may not have exibited much feathering at all in the summer, when the coat was much lighter.

Her legs were just as feathery in the Summer. I just don't have any decent pics of her from the summer. I do remember how I loved to use her mane-brush to brush out her feathers because it made her look so fancy. And what 10-year-old girls doesn't like her horse to be a little fancy now and then, especially when nobody else's horse had fancy feathers.