The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Lesson Suggestions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-lesson-suggestions-113782/)

myQHpaul 02-20-2012 05:09 PM

Riding Lesson Suggestions

I am not new to riding but after 15 years of not being on the back of a horse, I am still relearning. I have been riding for 4 years now but never took lessons. My barn owner has now offered to give me lessons on the weekend so I can become a more adequate rider. My first lesson next Saturday, I want her to teach me how to hold my reins, how to hold my feet in the stirrups, how to sit in my seat, and how to use leg pressure to move a horse out. Having that as my basics for my first lesson, where can I continue my lessons from there? I am not looking to show or compete, just want to be a more secure rider. Thanks so much :)

ElaineLighten 02-20-2012 05:23 PM

ask for some lunge lessons so you can concentrate on your balance and seat without the worry of steering :)

Elanora 02-20-2012 05:48 PM

I've just started taking lessons (I didn't have any prior experience) so I've been down this road very recently. Since you've been riding for a number of years without formal instruction you will probably have some incorrect habits to break. It takes guts to start a formal learning program after you've been making do on your own. I really admire that you're so dedicated!

In my first lessons the focus was on correct posture, correct rein tension, steering, finding my balance (which included laps around the arena in the two-point position to find balance and work on leg strengthening), and posting at the trot.

Each time I take a lesson I make note of something particular my instructor had to remind me of more than once and use that as my focus for my next lesson. I feel that it helps me get the most from my lessons. For example, this Saturday I'll be focusing on keeping my hands down when I'm posting. :)

I hope the lessons will make riding even more enjoyable for you & your mount!

OctoberArabian 02-20-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElaineLighten (Post 1369992)
ask for some lunge lessons so you can concentrate on your balance and seat without the worry of steering :)

I LOVE lunge lessons. Love love love them. I think they are so good for the first few lessons, or even well into your lesson progress. Finding your seat is the most important thing, steering can come later. Learn balance so that you dont need to rely on your reins, or your stirrups. My favorite lessons were lunge line with no stirrups or no reins, or both, doing arm circles and what not. I would definitely ask for those before you get technical. Also these kinds of lessons will naturally help to better your over all position later on, when you do incorporate stirrups and reins and steering and the like.

myQHpaul 02-21-2012 05:25 AM

Great. Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will definitely have my trainer do some lunge line work. Sometimes when I first start a trot or gallop, I feel like a sack of potatoes and probably ride like one too :).

Saskia 02-21-2012 06:45 AM

Most experienced instructors, or even experienced instructors, know what to teach.

Sometimes a set curriculum type thing won't work. If she knows about riding she should be able to see your weak points, and you'll probably find you'll start focusing on hands, legs and seat first.

Instead of planning each lesson out I think you should go there and ride, at least to begin with, and see what you come up with.

mildot 02-21-2012 07:39 AM

Once you have the rising trot and the canter down well, ask to start learning about basic lateral movements like leg yields, turn on the forehands, and shoulder fores.

As an aside, it will be quite a while before you should actually gallop as that is quite a fast speed. Remember the basic gaits in order from slower to faster: walk, trot, canter, and gallop.

diesel63 02-24-2012 02:00 AM

Wear tights under your jods stops your legs pinching!

kitten_Val 02-24-2012 08:43 AM

Paul, I'd leave the decision to the trainer. :) Trainers are usually pretty good to see what you have to work on, and just work on it during the lesson.