The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Dealing with aggressive dogs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/dealing-aggressive-dogs-113787/)

Radly 02-20-2012 06:04 PM

Dealing with aggressive dogs?

Dealing with aggressive dogs?

Today I went to go riding on the beach. In the parking lot, just finished taking up my horse when a great dane came running up barking at my horse. He spooked reared and broke the clip on the lead line. He was off running away with the dog in chase barking at his heals.He try ed to kick the dog a few times but never connected. He then jumped a split rail fence and went racing away down the road with the dog still after him. The hole time I'm running along but falling further behind. Well, I flagged down a passing car hoped in and got up to the action. I grabbed my boy and got him under control. OMG my hart was racing..
My horse normally dose not have a problem with any dog even when there barking, but in the past week there was two other aggressive dogs that went after him. Now he is on high alert when he sees a dog.
So any tips or ideas on dealing with problem dogs?
I was thinking about riding with my 9mm on my hip but then I have to deal with the police for killing a dog.:wink:

Stephen

MisssMarie 02-20-2012 06:10 PM

Ride with a BB gun. That's usually enough to scare a dog away without killing it in my experience
Posted via Mobile Device

OuttatheBlue 02-20-2012 06:16 PM

That must have been so scary for you to go through! I'm surprised so many aggressive dogs were able to get loose. What about bringing a BB gun? I've seen many dogs that WANTED to go after my horse, but luckily haven't been put in that position where they were able to before.

cakemom 02-20-2012 06:33 PM

Carry mace, I can't stand people who let their dogs run or poorly trained dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-20-2012 06:36 PM

perfectly legal to shoot a dog in self defense, just make sure your back stop is safe. Remember bullets never miss they always hit something. Have you shot around your horse ? If he is freaking out over a barking dog whats he gonna do when the gun goes off?
Maybe a good large can of OC pepper spray? Works pretty well you can OC the loose dog, then OC the owner when he gets stupid on you for OC'ing his dog.
Ask me how I know about that.

OuttatheBlue 02-20-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1370104)
perfectly legal to shoot a dog in self defense, just make sure your back stop is safe. Remember bullets never miss they always hit something. Have you shot around your horse ? If he is freaking out over a barking dog whats he gonna do when the gun goes off?
Maybe a good large can of OC pepper spray? Works pretty well you can OC the loose dog, then OC the owner when he gets stupid on you for OC'ing his dog.
Ask me how I know about that.

I'll ask!

Joe4d 02-20-2012 06:49 PM

exactly that, illegaly loose dog in a public park jogging trail, dog kept circling behind, me trying to bite the back of my legs, so I pepper sprayed him. Owner got stupid, I told him he shoulda kept his dog on a leash, owner acted in threatening manner so he got pepper sprayed too. Called cops when I got home, reported loose dog, and threatening owner. Was last I heard of it.

xXSerendipityXx 02-20-2012 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=Joe4d;1370133]...owner acted in threatening manner so he got pepper sprayed too...QUOTE]

LOL!^^
Just scare the dogs away somehow. I dont think theres a need to kill them, but a nice hoof to the face wouldnt be completely your fault..(x I like this pepper spray idea - Sounds fun:twisted: I have this this stuff called DirectX - its for wild animals, I bring it camping &stuff, but Im pretty sure its just citronella - dogs HATE it. And its pretty cheap too. A baseball bat would work, too(:

farley 02-20-2012 07:18 PM

we carry Mace. We ride out to the lake and around it a whole bunch and you never know who or whats out there! I would carry a gun but due to passed injurys I cant shoot well and wouldnt want to be in a sitution where its pointing back at me... But my boyfriend carries one when we hike and pack.

gunslinger 02-20-2012 07:19 PM

I've been assaulted by loose dogs several times in the Cherokee and the Cohutta's.

It's a much bigger problem than many believe, and fortunately I've never gotten bit and never had to shoot.

Still, a charging, growling, barking dog is an assault, and the cops should treat it as such.