The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   how exactly do you train a yearling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-exactly-do-you-train-yearling-11383/)

Gingerrrrr 07-12-2008 06:45 PM

how exactly do you train a yearling?

how do you train a yearling? i might be getting one but i just wanted some tips on how to train a yearling. he can already- leads, ties, loads, clips, baths, stands great for vet and farrier, and lets you pick his feet. what else can i do with him? what things can i use to desensitize him? much help is appreciated :D

Small_Town_Girl 07-12-2008 09:05 PM

Start slow by spending time with him. Get him in an enclosed area,
a stall or pen, and just spend quiet time getting to know him and
gain his trust. Then you maybe can start training him to longe! :D

Remember a yearling only has a limited attention span. Keep
your training to no more than 15-30 minutes. And always end
on a good note. Yearling are sweet and although they can be
naughty sometimes - mostly they are good kids that want to p
lease you.

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-12-2008 09:29 PM

just a quick question? why did you get rid of your other horse?

Gingerrrrr 07-12-2008 09:35 PM

couldn't afford board but of course when i sell her i find a place to board for much cheaper...

My2Geldings 07-13-2008 12:06 AM

With youngsters it's being repetitive that really works with them. Short lessons as they have very little concentration for longer periods and leave it on a good note. Lots and lots of handling of the feet, brushing, show them sprays, take them for walks, show them traffic etc.

There is LOADS you can and should be doing with youngsters. Before you get one, make sure you have the experience to handle him/her. They are a lot more work than what people think.

palogal 07-13-2008 10:21 PM

Find someone to watch, the littles ones are great fun but have to be trained correctly or you will have a real monster on your hands. Observe anyone who wont chase you away.

3neighs 07-15-2008 10:16 PM

I've had my yearling since birth and what everyone has posted is true, especially about being naughty sometimes. I also agree with short lessons. I've worked a lot with Luna who pretty much has the demeanor of a golden retriever, but she still likes to test me to see what she can get away with.

I've gotten her to walk over tarps and through water. In my opinion, the best thing to do with them at this age is pony them from another horse. I started out just taking her around our circle drive and can now go short distances down our quiet dirt road.

Laurie McNally 07-16-2008 12:50 AM

Rule #1
have some fun with your baby. I put saddle pads and cercingles on them, rub them all over with them. I have a little kids saddle, I put that on the baby, to help him familiarize with a cinch. I lead him every where with a bareback pad on. I put a baby head stall and gentle bit in his mouth for him to wear and get used to. Do not hurt his mouth so be careful and thughtful to let him play with it in his mouth while you groom and do other stuff. I make obstacle courses for them to go through on a lead rope. Stuff like trash cans in a figure 8, and garden hoses to step over, roadway cones make fun obstacles. I make flags attached to posts out of grocery bags to blow in the wind to de-sensitize for the noise and movement. We visit the toys in the neighbors yard, like the swing set and slide. I teach them to go in and out of the trailer, and give the rides to no where in the trailer. I drive in town for 10 or 15 minutes. I pony them out on trails behind the adult horses.
There is endless stuff you can teach them to tolerate and get used to. Usually our horses are limited only by our imaginations.
Laurie
www.hayinabag.com

palogal 07-17-2008 09:41 PM

Consistency is very important. If a behavior is wrong it's always wrong such as biting...never cute to nip the carrot out of your pocket or steal a friends hat off their head. A lot of babies are ruined because some behaviors are seen as "cute" at some times and are punishable by death in others. If it's wrong, it's always wrong. If it's good it's always good. Keep it simple. For example...what will "WHOA" mean...all four feet still? downward transition? Be very aware of what you say and don't talk too much.

JUBALIE 08-04-2009 01:48 PM

Traning my yearling

Hello everyone, i was wondering if some of you could help me.i have a yearling paint that a few friends brought to me. She has never been messed with at all. I bring her in the round pin every day and try to mess with her. I am now able to put her halter on and i can lead her on a lead rope and back her up. She is still a little skittish when i touch her and she hates when i pick up her hoofs. I have never broke a horse and i do not know much about ground work. Can you just tell me if i am doing right so far and what all do i need to be doing and how can i get her use to me picking up her hoofs. Any thing would be helpfull. Thank you