The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Training Your Horse To Back Up Video (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/training-your-horse-back-up-video-113874/)

AllHorseStuff 02-21-2012 11:55 AM

Training Your Horse To Back Up Video

I put together a video on the principle of pressure and release, demonstrated with training a horse to back up on the ground. This is one of my first training videos, it needs some refinement but it's a start.

I hope it's helpful, I'm curious to hear feedback on it.

thanks

GotaDunQH 02-26-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHorseStuff (Post 1371364)
I put together a video on the principle of pressure and release, demonstrated with training a horse to back up on the ground. This is one of my first training videos, it needs some refinement but it's a start.

How to Back Up a Horse - YouTube

I hope it's helpful, I'm curious to hear feedback on it.

thanks

That's not the way I teach a horse to back on the ground, but if it works for you....then that's cool. I DO NOT want my horse flinging it's head up if I ask it to back, and that's the problem with standing that far away and flipping a rope at your horse. I want my horse to drop it's head and get soft and flexible in the poll. I also stand right in front of my horse but off the side just a tad so my leg left is in line with my horse's left leg.

gypsygirl 02-27-2012 09:52 PM

i could only watch the first minute and a half or so [my computer is refusing to load videos all the way] but why do you start wiggling the rope so hard in the beginning ? why not start out more gently ?

lmims2580 03-02-2012 04:03 PM

I have to agree with GotaDunQH -When I'm teaching my horse to back up, I do not want her/his head flinging up like that. I want them to lower their head, and give in to me being very flexible.