The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   *:Barrel horses and best times:* (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/%2A-barrel-horses-best-times-%2A-113875/)

BarrelRacer95 02-21-2012 10:55 AM

*:Barrel horses and best times:*

What are your best times on what horses and size of pattern? Can't wait to see all the different horses.!(:
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-21-2012 11:25 AM

I don't know specific times and I can't really post pictures right now, but....

Bailey, as of right now, can run 16's on a smaller pattern(This is about a 3D time in the fairgrounds small arena), 19's on a standard. She is getting faster every run.

Jester could run 17s on a standard on a good day, mostly 18s though.

For six months I ran two arabs. They, ironically, were 1D horses. Granted I never ran them against heavy competition, just in the youth and most of the really good people entered the open races. I don't know exactly what they ran, I never won money on them. They were those "Too slow for 1D but too fast for 2D" type horses....

DrumRunner 02-21-2012 11:44 AM

Laugh, we don't HAVE small patterns..There is one arena where we have a small pattern and we rarely show there. I would LOVE to have smaller patterns because Nikki loves them, but everyone else likes the big patterns..

It really depends..Nikki will consistently run 16s-low 17s on a big pattern..I haven't ever been able to run her on a small pattern..Lark is better with big patterns because she can really stretch between barrels and she's faster than Nikki.

Not my best, I dropped my reins and blew off the back of the third..
Amber and Nikki - Cloverleaf 10-22-11 - YouTube

SorrelHorse 02-21-2012 01:16 PM

Lol Drum, if we only ran big patterns, Bailey would smoke everyone else out there! She can absolutely fly. Our fairgrounds has two small covered arenas, a big covered one, and then the really nice big indoor one they use for the rodeo and monster trucks. I have some variety but she would do so much better if it was uncovered and outdoors. She gets claustrophobic. lol

DrumRunner 02-21-2012 01:25 PM

My girls do well in indoor and outdoor, that really isn't a big thing. They both are well seasoned and know the routine when it comes to arenas..Nikki is more ratey in an indoor but that's about it..Our fair grounds is HUGE. We have the one BIG indoor, I think 3 more indoor, 1 covered, and 1 outdoor.. Have to brag a little and say that Martha Josey said running in Perry, Georgia (our fair grounds) is her favorite arena in the world. It's pretty big though..I LOVE running in that arena..

lol "horse" barrel racing..Like there is any other type?

SorrelHorse 02-21-2012 01:31 PM

Lol it looks like a nice place, Bailey would love it. One of these days I want to ride at the Pendleton Round-Up....Talk about a big pattern. I think the winning time in 08 was like 28-something? Dang! If you haven't seen anyone run there before you should look it up....It's amazing.

DrumRunner 02-21-2012 01:35 PM

I would LOVE to run that on Lark... Nikki would be like "Ha, you're kidding right??"

SorrelHorse 02-21-2012 01:41 PM

lol I'd meet ya there with Bailey. Selena definately won't be a free runner, she's such a lazy thing. And I'm not sure what Ruger will be yet. He's still in his baby horse phase....

MangoRoX87 02-22-2012 09:41 AM

I remember I was consistently running 40+ second times. LOL..then at some point I decided to pick it up, screw 30s and 20s, me and Mango were running 16s and 17s on an average size pattern. He was a fabulous barrel horse, he once ran a 14 on a smaller pattern. I'd say not bad for a 21 year old ex racer! I certainly wish I had more time with him and enter him in a real barrel race:(

Rosie is a little bit more nervous on the pattern, and we normally run in the 17s and 18s. She has this fun (not) habit of stopping on the back side of the first barrel. It's like she forgets half way through then remembers she has to keep turning XD

Once, on Dream, I managed to pull of a 21 her first time on the pattern...just fooling around at a play day.

I'm really excited to see what Sassy is going to run. I'm hoping she will be atleast a 2D/3D horse.

JustaSkippenJess 02-23-2012 04:06 PM

i think my little mare's best time on a standard outdoor pattern was a 18.3 or so (most in the 1d run low 17's occasionally a high 16) but i have don't most our running indoors on smaller patterns. we won the 1d one night, i was so thrilled and shortly after we got even lower in the times. we have done a couple races at a pen where the set up the same set up that Thomas and Mack has for the NFR. Including the blind alley way.

this is my 1d win

here is us on the nfr pattern as a 6 year old