The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk about a HUGE pattern..

11K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  ShezaNonstopable 
#1 ·
Earlier today I was talking with SorrelHorse and she had said I had to Google the Pendleton Roundup..So I did..and I am wowed by this pattern.. It is HUGE and it is insane!! Poor Hickory would die before he got to the second barrel..These girls have some major skills..You really have to ride those horses and bring them back down enough to rate from that run and turn..Wow..Just had to share!
Pendleton Round-Up 2011 | Barrel Racing Finals - YouTube

#18 ·
Like drum said, it all depends.

The length of the patterns all depend on the size of the arena.

A bigger arena most likely means a bigger pattern.

Of course if it is a race put on by certain associations they may require all of their patterns be the same size.

Most arenas are set up with markers that mark where the barrels should be in the cloverleaf pattern....but this does not prevent them from being pulled in or expanded out if need be.

The size of the pattern is very important though, the size will be set before the first run and will not change during the performances.

#7 ·
Well, in the rodeo circuit here, all off the arena's are different sizes, so they try and make the patterns the same, but some of them get squished down to fit the arena, some some get blow up by a few feet. If you go on the circuit, I believe at the end of the year, your times are added up and the lowest score wins, or your placings get averaged... I don't actually know.

#8 · (Edited)
Baileyjo, It really depends on the circuit, association, arena..whoever is putting on the show. They will have set guidelines as to where each prop is placed. It's usually based on the barrels having to be 10 feet off of the arena wall at each barrel. The pattern sizes can be all different lengths. Most association shows will try to keep the pattern the same but it's really based on the arena and who is sponsoring the show.

Also, all of the associations and such I've ever ran with, the way you are placed at the end of the year is based on your placings and point throughout the season.. Like this.. Say they are placing 6 people. 1st = 6points, 2nd = 5..and so on..Then say you have ten shows..all of those points are added up at the end of the year and you will see who has overall highest points.

#11 ·
There is a reason that is my absolute favorite rodeo of the year. That's on my bucket list to rodeo there, even if I never am able to rodeo anywhere else. Bailey would do SO well there. She's a lot more run then she is turn, and so am I! LOL

#20 ·
I love watching the runs from Pendleton.

If I ever get a horse good enough to haul some of the circuit, I would love to get to run at Pendleton. Nothing like an all-out horse race!

#26 ·
Tell me when you're going to run and I'll be sure to be there!

And as for the barrels, you'd be amazed at how many horses I've watched that slip on the dirt instead of the grass :rofl: And everyone always panicks about the grass. I have a girl on video on a horse that came onto the dirt , and the horse's hind end dug in so much he almost turned himself over backwards o.o

On that not too, I've seen horses spook going from grass to dirt because ya know...The line between the two might eat them.

#27 ·
Holy granola, Batman! That's a BIG pattern.

I'm sure it certainly tests the skill of the rider and horse to know when and where to rate.

The horses seem to anticipate the barrels to me. Almost like they're thinking "ok, where's my barrel at?" hahaha.
Posted via Mobile Device

#33 ·
There's a roping or used to be anyway in Claremore, Oklahoma called the Pasture 101 or something like that. The ropers had to give the steers a 101ft head start. In conjunction with the roping they had a barrel race where the third barrel was a lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.