The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My Little Ponies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-little-ponies-113914/)

Ink 02-21-2012 05:48 PM

My Little Ponies

So this is kind of random, but what are y'all's thoughts on my little ponies. I remember being pretty much indifferent to them as a kid. I always thought they more closely resembled hippos than actual ponies :-| So aside from being horrified by their terrible conformation (c'mon their heads just about attach directly onto their bodies!) I never really had much interest in them. I preferred playing with the more realistic looking breyer horses.

Just wondering what you guys thought of them since they appear to be making a come back.

Tianimalz 02-21-2012 05:51 PM

A cartoon is a cartoon, it isn't supposed to resemble real life (If it did, I had one weird childhood!), I find the ponies adorable and anime like, like they were supposed to be :) I like the newer series myself, but I still have one or two of the "old" ponies sitting on a shelf for keepsake. That said, I still love my Breyers and find the artwork of the models beautiful.

Like different fanbases, for different reasons. I get my "SQUEE CUTE" out of the ponies, and the "PRETTY HORSIES" out of my Breyers :-)

Ink 02-21-2012 05:55 PM

I haven't actually gotten to watch the new animated show, but from what I've seen, I think the design of the ponies is a huge improvement from the original.

Ray MacDonald 02-21-2012 05:57 PM

I agree! I love My Little Ponies (friendship is magic) I also used to have an old My Little Pony movie, I would watch it, then rewind it and watching it again.... I watched it like 20 times a day LOL

Saskia 02-21-2012 05:59 PM

The new ponies are completely different and remodelled to the ones that were around in my childhood.

Sure they didn't look like ponies, but its a fantasy thing. Stuff toy lions look nothing like real lions, real animals don't talk or wear clothing like many cartoon things do.

2SCHorses 02-21-2012 06:22 PM

My daughter was into them for awhile and they were cute. Now she watches 'Horseland' instead, but we still have a few in her room and she's still young enough to like them. The orginal was after my cartoon phase, so I can't comment on it.

2SCHorses 02-21-2012 06:24 PM

Oh, but I have a pony and I often sing the song to her when nobody's around!! My little pony, my little pony ... LOL. Goofy, but true.

Ray MacDonald 02-21-2012 08:19 PM

I love horseland too! LOL kinda sad because I'm almost 18...

Ray MacDonald 02-21-2012 08:20 PM

The new series has way better songs! <3

OuttatheBlue 02-21-2012 08:27 PM

I'm one of the few horsey people I know who never got breyers, ever. My parents were too cheap so I got my little pony's instead. My friend and I always thought they had unrealistically long manes, so we would trim them like you would for a horse show. We were left with some UUUUGLLLY ponies!