The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   A new life... (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/new-life-113962/)

OkieGal 02-22-2012 02:37 AM

A new life...

This journal probably won't be horse related as I am having to put my horsie activities on a back burner for the next few years.

To start, I am a 17 year old senior in high school who graduates at the end of May.
I'm not attending college, nor am I working full time as some people do.

I'm joining the United States Army as soon as I can sign those papers.
My parents are on board with it and have no problems signing the papers since I am not 18 yet.

The only thing that is keeping me from joining the Army is my weight. I have 75 pounds that I need to lose in order to be admitted into the Army. I have until the day before I graduate to sign my papers.

Let me explain that. I can sign the papers whenever I choose to, so it's not like I either sign then or never get the chance again. I have set this goal to give myself a little more motivation.

So, starting today, I have to lose 25+ pounds per month in order to reach my goal.
Some of you may think I'm crazy for even thinking that I could lose that much weight in that short of a time frame. Well, you thought right. I am crazy to think that but crazy in the sense that a goal like that isn't going to break my will.
I know this journey is going to be a long, hard and painful time. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be Army Strong and provide myself and my future family a life that I couldn't provide otherwise.

So off I go into the wide unknown, and into a new life.
Posted via Mobile Device

OkieGal 02-23-2012 12:06 AM

Well today was good. I did about an hour of good running and my MMA class which really got the blood going.
I did have a cheat day with food. :/ I had some chips at lunch and some chicken wings for dinner. Oh well, I've been pushing myself pretty hard for the last two weeks and I deserved it.
I've lost about 13 pounds and 2 inches off of my waist. I never thought I would feel this good! I still have a long way to go but I feel better every day.

As with my weight, I'm letting myself level out for three days or so as to not set my body into thinking its starving.

The highlight of my day was when I called my recruiter for my two week check in.
I told him how much I've lost and he told me that I'm doing a great job and I'm down 10% of what I need to lose.
Made me smile, having someone encourage me like that.

I guess I'm done for the night. I have a LOT of cardio, weight training and my MMA class to do tomorrow. Should prove to be tough but fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

OkieGal 02-23-2012 11:53 PM

Today went just about the same as yesterday. Did a good hours worth of cardio but I didn't go to my martial arts class. I don't really like the teachers at night, and being as that's the only time I can go, I think I'm going to find something else to do.
Hmmm, I think I might take up a yoga class or fill that in with more cardio. I have yet to decide.

As for food, I let myself break even again instead of trying to lose weight. I just told myself that everything was fine and that I'll be right back on track tomorrow and its good that I gave myself a little break.

So far I'm at 234 lbs. My goal is to weight 155 lbs or so.
My max that I can weigh is 160 lbs according to my recruiter and my height.

I know I'll get there. I just have to be positive about everything I do and not beat myself up so bad over little things. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2012 02:55 AM

Best of luck on your journey!! You're already doing so great!

ChingazMyBoy 02-25-2012 03:32 AM

Agree with Skye,
Your doing great so far - keep up the hard work. (:
Posted via Mobile Device

OkieGal 02-25-2012 10:12 PM

Thanks guys!

Well, the past two days have been hard.
I started working again for this week( I work three on, four off).
I work in fast food, but before you start thinking "oh, that's easy.", it isn't.
My job would be easy IF everyone else would do their job. Instead, I'm stucking running my drive-thru register, another register, making food, answering the phone which is the MANAGER'S responsibility, bag orders, deal with and FIX complaints. All in all, I run the store. Through all of this, my nerves are shredded. I do this for 7-9 hours 3 days a week.
I'm a stress eater. When I'm stressed, I eat. Gives me something to do and think about when I try to forget why I'm stressing to begin with.

:/......I've gained four pounds since thursday. I feel like crap. Like a really, really, big piece of crap.

My parents are allowing me to work until the beginning of may. Which is something to look forward to.
I really hate my job, and right now, I have a SPLITTING headache.

But, I just have to remember how much I want this. I want to be an american soldier and a part of something bigger and better than I could be on my own.
I have to buckle down and get down to business. I want to lose the weight, I need to lose the weight, and I am GOING to lose the weight.
Mark my words, I will be the best I can be and what I choose to be in this life.
Nothing is going to stand in my way.

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieGal (Post 1378644)
I have to buckle down and get down to business. I want to lose the weight, I need to lose the weight, and I am GOING to lose the weight.
Mark my words, I will be the best I can be and what I choose to be in this life.
Nothing is going to stand in my way.

Go for it!!! And don't feel like crap.. you're being given a lot of responsibility that should be others' responsibility but you're working through it! You'll work off those 4 or so pounds.. keep at it!

OkieGal 02-25-2012 11:39 PM

Thanks Sky! I've lost a pound today and I didn't stress eat like I thought I would. I just have to keep telling myself that I can do this, no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 02-26-2012 10:48 AM

Good for you Okiegal......

I spent three years in the Army, but over 30 years ago. I had a similar, but reverse situation.....I was underweight and had to gain weight to get in.

You can do this. Your time line is aggressive IMO, have you though about possibly extending it for a few more months?

I mean, losing 25 pounds a month sounds kind of dangerous to me.

I hope you are consulting with a doctor as you work toward your goal. Anyone helping you?

I'm pulling for you.....YOU GO GIRL!

OkieGal 02-29-2012 10:40 AM

Thanks, Gunslinger!

As to losing the amount, as long as I'm eating right and not over exercising, my doctor sees no problem with it.

I've learned that if I have an agressive timeline, I find it easier to accomplish.

Well, since I haven't posted in 3 days? I'm a bit behind. I have however lost those 4 pounds that I gained and another pound on top of that, so 5 pounds in the last 3 days. I feel better now that I'm back on track with my diet and exercise.
I've been jogging 2 miles a day and walking 5 miles. I space it out during the day so I don't strain my legs too much.
I'll probably start some weight training in the next few weeks, but for now, it's just cardio.

I'm also considering an appetite(sp?) supressant as I have massive hunger pangs as the day rolls on. I have some amount of self-control but if I'm hungry, I'm hungry. >:|