The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to catch a horse that doesn't want to be caught. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-catch-horse-doesnt-want-caught-113982/)

SammyAnn 02-22-2012 10:28 AM

How to catch a horse that doesn't want to be caught.

My friend has a 10 year old arabian gelding. He hasn't been ridin in 4 years and has been left in the same pasture but his previous owner died and Debbie (my friend) said she would take the horse. We went out to catch and move him and soon found out that would be harder than we thought. Since then we've tried everything from trying to patiently caox him into a halter to going out there with lassos. We have to catch the horse soon and I don't want anyone to get hurt trying to catch him (he's already given a llama a fatal kick and a person a dislocated wrist). Please if anyone has a safe way to catch this horse I would be so grateful. Thanks.

yadlim 02-22-2012 01:02 PM

IF you have access to it, get yourself a good cowboy with a good roping horse. The older and crotchity the better. This will work every time.

Short of that, you can build a small STURDY pen and trick him into it. Then, in a smaller place, you can slowly make it smaller and smaller until you have him. It might be best to set up the pen so that a stock trailer can be backed up to it so you can load him like an untamed Mustang and just chase him into the trailer.

Then, once safely home, you can find out what's going on with him.

kevinshorses 02-22-2012 01:04 PM

Use a rifle!

Vogue24 02-22-2012 01:10 PM

I had this almost exact problem with my mare. You need to 'beat' him into submission. Chase him around the paddock and trust me, it may take you a few hours but the horse will soon get bored and 'give in.' You just need the patience to make it work.

tinyliny 02-22-2012 02:01 PM

I think what Vogue is talking about is "walking down a horse".

http://www.ceoates.com/info/walking_down_a_horse.html

Lins 02-22-2012 02:12 PM

Start feeding him in some type of smaller pen, then close the gate when he's in it. Then join up with him. He'll probably run around like a bozo for quite a while, but don't give up, as he needs to be caught. When u do catch him, make sure its a very nice experience. So he knows that once he's caught, he can relax, get scratches, treats, and hugs and stuff :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lins 02-22-2012 02:15 PM

Oh, and don't let yourself get flustered and frustrated when trying to catch him. If u do, it'll entertain him and make it more of a game to run away. Stay focused, and calm. Act like there's no big deal, u know u will catch him eventually, and u have all the time in the world. He will give up. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

SammyAnn 02-22-2012 09:52 PM

We had the old crotchety cowboy out there with us today and we almost got him! The guys coming out again tomorrow and if that doesn't work we're calling in the vet to have the horse tranquillized and then moved. Thanks for the advice!