The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   some car advice please!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/some-car-advice-please-11402/)

sempre_cantando 07-13-2008 08:16 AM

some car advice please!!!

Originally, I wasn't going to buy a car until I get full time work as my parents said that I can use one of theirs whenever I want.... umm lol thats not going too well right now... hence why I want a car! I won't go into that though. Basically, I'm still at uni for this year and next year so I can't afford a car that is too expensive. I want to know how old and how many kilometers can a car have done and still be reliable and not need repair work every month? I know it varies... but can you give me an idea? Thanks heaps!

claireauriga 07-13-2008 09:53 AM

It depends entirely on how the car's been used - in the holidays, I drive my dad's car, which has nearly 200,000 miles on the clock but which is in excellent condition because my dad takes good care of it and replaces worn out bits and whatnot. And I've seen cars with 50,000 miles on the clock that are only good for the scrap heap.

The very best idea is to take someone knowledgeable with you to look at any car you're thinking of buying. They can check engine, wheels, chassis, gearbox, everything.

hotreddun 07-13-2008 11:45 AM

I've heard American brands (Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge) are notorious for starting to act quirky at 100,000 miles. Personally I love Nissan and Subaru. Honda supposedly are pretty low maintenance.

Usually you can find a good car for less than $10,000 with 30,000 miles or less which to me would be ideal. Look on autotrader.com or cars.com I'm looking at buying a Mazda Speed3 right now. One tip...don't rely on those Carfax reports for maintenance records...I bought one for my car when I was selling it...it didn't report 2 wrecks on the record that I know happened because I was driving during the wreck :shock:

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-13-2008 01:12 PM

i just traded my rambling reck of heap of junk silverado in for a 2008 v8 titan nissan, yes it is true that american cars are more likley to fall apart faster....my silverado had over 200 000 miles on the body and about 10 000 miles on the new angein...in the 16 months that i owned that truck it was only on the road for about 7 months....the way i see it...pick a car that you like..google it for the goods and the bad about it....if it is second hand take it to a machanic!!!! (like buying a horse always get it checked out first) remeber, always keep in mind that ..that if your a student that keep the price low on the car....yearly tags will be lower ( i went from paying $67 on tags a year to $506 a year on my new truck) because your young your insurence will be a bit high (in the us if you don't have it and you get cought with out it your car gets impounded)...find out what is a gas guzzzler and try to stay away from those.....

My2Geldings 07-13-2008 02:45 PM

A lot of factors can change the answer to your question. The brand of the vehicle(whether most people agree on that one or not), how it was driven, the mileage, how well it was cared for as far as oil changes go. Whether or not it was driven by multiple people or if it was a single person driving it.

Generally speaking I think anything above 100,000km is a vehicle that starts requiring parts replaced.