The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   New Home for Old Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/new-home-old-horse-114052/)

Horseygirlsmith 02-22-2012 09:52 PM

New Home for Old Horse?
 
My mom says it is time to get rid of our beloved 30 year old POA mare Shawnee. She is just not what she used to be, and my Mom says she wants a younger well trained pony to replace her. We have been trying to sell her, but she acts up when people come to see her and they don't want her. I am heartbroken and don't want to sell her, but I unterstand it is time we do. What should we do with her? Nobody wants to buy her, and we need to find differant horse. Please give me some good ways to find her a new home.

Tapperjockey 02-22-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseygirlsmith (Post 1374169)
My mom says it is time to get rid of our beloved 30 year old POA mare Shawnee. She is just not what she used to be, and my Mom says she wants a younger well trained pony to replace her. We have been trying to sell her, but she acts up when people come to see her and they don't want her. I am heartbroken and don't want to sell her, but I unterstand it is time we do. What should we do with her? Nobody wants to buy her, and we need to find differant horse. Please give me some good ways to find her a new home.

She's 30. If you are going to ditch an animal because it's no longer useful, instead of ponying up the money to care for it, or have it euthanized, I suggest getting Breyers or My Little Ponies. Those are the kind of horses you can throw away when you no longer want them.

mvinotime 02-22-2012 10:07 PM

We have a 32 year old mare we have had since she was a yearling....I could not imagine rehoming a beloved family member who had served you well your entire life. She deserves the secure and loving retirement that she has earned not to be shuffled into god knows what kind of future....I am sorry to sound harsh but I am absolutely appalled right now. Ugh

themacpack 02-22-2012 10:07 PM

Nothing irritates me more than to see a horse who has given their all to someone only to be turned out at the end when they are no longer of use. IMO, they earn their retirement and the right to live out their final days in the home they have known, loved and SERVED.
Think about it, YOU no longer want her because she is not useful - why would anyone else want to pay for a horse of that nature? If you are unable to find a home that can offer her the retirement you will not, she would be better off being euthanized than placed in a poorly suited situation just to suit your convenience. Rather than seeking to sell her, why not just worry about finding a good loving home, money be ****ed.

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-22-2012 10:10 PM

Don't be so harsh on HER, she says its her mother's choice. We minors don't have much say in these situations. Although I do agree, its not really up to her.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 02-22-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy (Post 1374210)
Don't be so harsh on HER, she says its her mother's choice. We minors don't have much say in these situations. Although I do agree, its not really up to her.
Posted via Mobile Device

While this is true, she did ask and even if she doesn't have the final say in the matter she does seem to be accepting of and even in agreement with the decision to some degree - perhaps the feedback that is received here will help her to re-think her own take as well as carry the points back to the person who does have the final say to encourage a re-thinking on that front as well. She may not have a "say" but she does have a voice and I would hope that she might use that voice for the horse who has none.

farley 02-22-2012 10:28 PM

Its not fair that you have to rehome her but if that their choice then you need to do jt that and REHOME her. I have clients that where given an older horse, the werent going to bring her home but the felt sorry for her, she had no life to her, sad eyes and thin and could careless about anyone or anything. In her final moments they cleaned up her feet, floated her teeth, put 200 bls on her wormed her and used her as a therapy horse for her physically disabled parents, who enjoyed feeding her treats grooming her and just being around her. they pumped 2000 dollars into her to give her a good of a life as they could for a horse they knew could never be rode or even walked very far, she pasted away less than a year after bring her home, but she had life back in her eyes and was happy to see you/ anyone, and was apart of their family.
You need to find your horse a home like this which will be hard and you will probably have to give her away in the process, but at least you will know she is safe and healthy

LovesMyDunnBoy 02-22-2012 10:41 PM

I agree with giving her away to someone who WILL put the money into letting her live out the rest of her days happy and healthy. If I had the extra money I would, but I can barley support the ones I have now.
Posted via Mobile Device

busysmurf 02-22-2012 11:29 PM

:-(OUCH, you guys are harsh (I agree with you, but OUCH)!! That being said, to the OP, I agree with those that said you at least have a voice. Looking at your profile, you have 5 other horses, so obviously your family is not selling everything you have to just keep 1 horse happy & healthy. There is a place with your family to enjoy her retirement that she's earned, that's the most honorable way to go.

themacpack 02-22-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busysmurf (Post 1374370)
:-(OUCH, you guys are harsh (I agree with you, but OUCH)!! That being said, to the OP, I agree with those that said you at least have a voice. Looking at your profile, you have 5 other horses, so obviously your family is not selling everything you have to just keep 1 horse happy & healthy. There is a place with your family to enjoy her retirement that she's earned, that's the most honorable way to go.

I don't see how the responses given here are any more harsh than the situation in the OP itself - to me, what is being proposed to be done with this horse is harsh.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0