The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   any vets or someone know alot about goats (injured goat!!) (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/any-vets-someone-know-alot-about-114061/)

shandasue 02-22-2012 09:52 PM

any vets or someone know alot about goats (injured goat!!)

about 6 weeks ago the local animal shelter picked up a goat, it was there first animal that wasnt a dog or cat so me an my dad got him. we assume he was someones pet and they got bored with him and left him to starve.
a week after we got him my boxer attacked him but he just had a sore leg and some minor scraps on his back. i started tiein my dogs up at night and about two weeks ago we found that he was attack agian somtime during the night so i gess it was a nabors dog. his back leg was pretty mangled but hes about healed now, the problem is... he laid down the entire time and now his front legs are stiff and he cant stand up. he will stand on his back legs with his knees on the ground when he eats. we were trying to help him stand but he couldnt. we strech his front legs out once or twice a day trying to unstiffin them but it doesnt help, he just tries to stand when we do it an keeps falling and hes going to hurt himself agian. i told dad we should make him a sling to go around his belly and hang him from the rafters where he can barley touch the ground, like they do horses, but dad laughed at me. would that be a good idea? what can we do? its a shame this happened to him he is the friendlies goat iv ever met.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 02-22-2012 09:55 PM

Has a vet been involved in ANY of his care to this point? It doesn't sound as though there has been and that is what is needed. At this point, the damage may have been done and be to the point that it can't be undone, but I am not comfortable advising w/out knowing that an actual vet has physically SEEN the animal and been able to put hands on him.

Nitefeatherz 02-22-2012 10:23 PM

If a vet hasn't been involved yet they need to be. Injuries like you describe rarely heal on their own and he needs pain medication imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 02-22-2012 10:41 PM

Why was a real vet not involved the instant you discovered the second attack:evil:!? If that one back leg is, as you say, mangled, then there is a very serious problem. There could be tendon and vascular damage in that leg that needed care weeks ago when he was first hurt. He could have an infection somewhere. Because he went so long without care, he may have already suffered permanent damage to that leg and the rest of his body. He may already be beyond hope.

Only a REAL vet can help you at all at this point, you need to take the goat to see one....yesterday!

Lockwood 02-22-2012 10:50 PM

I third getting a vet out! If one won't come to you then goats can be put in the back seat and taken to a vet, like a dog.

Don't try to sling the goat up by the belly!

There are many reasons why a goat moves around or stands on the front knees. Some are due to disease, some injury, some hoof problems, and some goats who have been down for a while (injured, sick, stuck somewhere, or stressed) can start having problems with their rumens (one of the stomach chambers, like a cow.)
If a goat or any ruminant (multi chambered stomach animal) has been stressed, it affects their digestive system greatly.
When the digestive system is affected, everything is affected and it is complicated to try and fix!

The digestion process itself makes special nutrients for the body, beyond just extracting the nutrients from the food. When something causes a shift or halt in that process it robs the body of those special nutrients which cannot be easily replaced. This can affect the body in many many ways.

In other words... the goat needs a vet for more than just the leg or injuries.
Hopefully your goat is still trying to recover, but I fear he/she needs a vet badly.

shandasue 02-22-2012 10:58 PM

we DID have a vet out, shes not big on goats, but shes our only choise. it was only bad cuts and she told dad what to buy for him and he can stand on it now, the cuts just have to finish healing. now his stiff front legs are the problem and we cant afford to have the vet out agian and i dont think thats really a huge need for a vet. i just want an idea to get his legs un-stiff. thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 02-22-2012 11:08 PM

*head-desk* If the goat is physically unable to get to his feet under his own power, then there **** sure is a "huge need for a vet" that knows what the heck they're doing! If you cannot afford to give the goat the proper care, then you need to take it back to the animal shelter where they can get him the care that he needs.

If you aren't able to find a vet that knows something about goats or willing to find another way to help beyond asking suggestions of total strangers on the internet, then perhaps it would be kinder to just shoot the poor goat now.

Skipsfirstspike 02-22-2012 11:19 PM

Sure wish we had a 'dislike' option!
Shame! OP, this goat is your responsibility! Either, goodness forbid, go out of your way to get a proper vet out, or put it out of its misery.
Unfortunately, I expect you will just let it alone to suffer miserably until it either comes around or dies slowly.
Neglect is one of the cruelest forms of abuse.

kevinshorses 02-22-2012 11:32 PM

If you don't want to pay for the vet (I wouldn't) try these.

Goat Meat Recipes-chevon, cabrito, guisado, and more

Skipsfirstspike 02-22-2012 11:50 PM

Kevin, while its true she doesnt have to pay a vet to help save it, she shouldnt let the delicious thing suffer.