The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is it possible to get a VERY light grey to dapple out? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/possible-get-very-light-grey-dapple-114190/)

eventerwannabe 02-24-2012 01:23 AM

Is it possible to get a VERY light grey to dapple out?

My goal for next summer is to get Bear's coat to dapple out. He's always been a hard keeper, but I have a good plan for this winter. I'm hoping by next year he will be healthy enough to dapple out.

So, long story short...
Is it even possible to get a light grey to dapple out? If so, how should I go about this (through diet and such). He will be on a good amount of supplements (weight, joint, hoof/coat, multiple vitamin If that isn't too much) and will be getting grain. He will be on 24/7 turn out, except when eating or if it snows.

I'm determined!! >:D

HowClever 02-24-2012 01:34 AM

Short answer, No it's not possible.

The dapple greys you see are not that way from good feed or supplements. They are at a particular stage of greying out. If your horse is light all over he is well passed that stage and will not get the dapples back.

lubylol 02-24-2012 02:08 AM

^Not entirely true. I've seen very very light greys have faint dapples. I thought it just had to do with genetics, because some greys don't even get dapples, and if they do then they are very very light.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 02-24-2012 08:03 AM

It all depends what their 'base color' is. Horses born dark with a black, bay or brown base color go through stages of looking dappled. Some hold their color for many years.

Horses that have already grayed out to white may develop 'fly bitten' spots, but they won't develop true dapples. I have about 20 grays right now, all bred and raised by me.

If they are born light (like buckskin or palomino) they are sometimes white by the age of 3.

If they are born chestnut or sorrel, they often go through a 'pink' or 'strawberry roan' phase. People that do not know any better often think they are roans. Roans can be recognized by their solid colored heads, legs and tails.

The light ones can get a really nice looking 'silver sheen' when they have very good summer coats, but true dapples never come back.

Tapperjockey 02-24-2012 08:17 AM

It appears Bear is the 14 yo TB gelding you have pics of on your profile? he's way past the dapples stage.. sorry.

eventerwannabe 02-28-2012 10:20 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies!!

I know he won't truly dapple out, but I was talking those nice, healthy (and very faint) dapple horses get when they are in wonderful nutritional health. I am aware about grey horses and their dapple stages.

He has dark charcoal (black) skin and has some flea bites. The only true white marking I've found on him is a tiiiiny star (makes him unique, no one ekes ever notices it).

Well, I will at least get him to be a fat and very shiny horse (eventually)!

eventerwannabe 02-28-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1376395)
The light ones can get a really nice looking 'silver sheen' when they have very good summer coats, but true dapples never come back.

Didn't notice this the first time through the comments. I never expected him to truly dapple again, but getting a nice healthy coat is what I'm trying to figure out. (: