The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Support Boots/Wraps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/support-boots-wraps-114233/)

smokeslastspot 02-24-2012 04:24 PM

Support Boots/Wraps

I'm sending my three yr old to be started soon and I have been looking at support boots. Having been out of the horse scene for a while, I'm not up to date on everything. Years ago when I rode i never used any, but now that I am getting involved in horses again it seems that everyone is wearing boots/wraps all the time.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Does anyone ride without?

He will be started in a few months and will be mostly just be going for easy walks down trails/side roads until he is more mature. When he is being started though I feel like it would be a good idea to send some sort of supports with him since his legs will not be accustomed to carrying that much weight and I want him to be as comfortable as possible in training.

I have seen all the SMB boots but can't tell much of a difference between them. Tough 1 has some fairly nice looking boots as well that are not so expensive, but they don't seem to be in as many colors (not that I care, I will probably be getting black).

I am concerned as well if I should get bell boots. He has never injured himself in the pasture, but he does occasionally hit the backs of his fronts and I'm not sure if it will be worse under saddle.

DrumRunner 02-24-2012 07:49 PM

It really depends on what type of riding and discipline you're going to be doing with him. When it boils down to it boots aren't 100% effective and are only there for added support and protection. Polo wraps offer almost no support whatsoever and don't offer any help when used by a more stressful western discipline, like barrel racing, cutting, or reining..Polo wraps can be beneficial when used for support as in bandages or being used by English riders when warming up..In the wrongs hands, or someone who doesn't know what they are doing, polo wraps can do more damage than good...

When it comes to boots, I am all about "you get what you pay for." I only use the Professional's Choice Elites, and now I only use the VenTech Elites..IMO, they are the best boot out there, they may be more expensive but they conform to your horse's leg better, are breathable, light weight, and stay where you put them. I've tried and have been around all other boots Legacy, Pegasus, Justin...I just don't care for them as much as the Elites..I have multiple pairs and they last forever and have been great for me. No bad experiences. I would like to try out the Iconoclaust boots but I haven't had a chance to see them in person and I'm not going to buy a pair without seeing and feeling the boot itself first..and another user on the forum has mentioned that those boots were recommended for horses with previous injury to their leg.

When it comes to bell boots - I use bell boots on all of my horses for that added protection. I only use the Justin bell boots..They have recently discontinued the bell boots and I am extremely upset about it. I'm actually going to go ahead and buy 3 or 4 pair to keep..My horses will destroy the Professional's Choice and Classic Equine bell boots quick...

That said, I don't ever ride without boots and bell boots on my horses, except just riding around bareback nice and easy..It's just a personal preference..

sierrams1123 02-25-2012 05:27 AM

there are many threads about this same topic.......

http://www.horseforum.com/western-ri...vs-smb-110026/

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...est-my-112541/

http://www.horseforum.com/english-ri...-wraps-103409/

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...-how-do-95522/

and those are only a few

I do not know how may replies you will get about this topic I think most are sick of repeating themselves.

Most important thing is get what you feel will offer your horse the most support for whatever you are doing with your horse and the proper use of the protection provided.

I prefer boots over polos any day just because it is so easy to wrap polos incorrectly and you will end up causing more harm then good, so boots leave less room for error.
My all time favorite boots are the Legacy Boots by Classic Equine, they offer the support where it is need most, they are contoured but not too formed like I feel the Professionals Choice Elite boots or any other Professionals Choice boots are, the velcro is heavy duty and last long, they do not seem to collect as mush dirt as any other boots I have or have used because I can get more of a custom fit on different horses because of the material they are made out of, I also really like the rough out patch on the back side the helps protect those more sensitive areas. I also really like the Pegasus XT boots and the Pegasus Airboots.

I own a pair of professionals choice boots and they have lasted a long time I just find myself reaching for my classic equine boots every time and prefer them over the others.

As far as bell boots go, I LOVE the Justine bells boots. Like drum said they have discontinued these so I will be stocking up as well. I use other bell boots but none last longer then the Justine bell boots.....although these bells boots by Pegasus look a lot like the Justine bell boots so I may just have to check these out --> Pegasus Platinum Bell Boots

As you can see, everyone has different opinions on what the best option is for protective wear.....me and drum ride together and we have different preferences in brand of protective boots but like the same bells boots.

My best advise to you is to look at the boots in person, touch them and play around with them before purchasing them. I also recommend you stay away from anything other then Classic Equine, Professionals Choice, Pegasus, and Iconoclast brand boots....just because I have not heard good things on the other cheaper brands out there.

Also, Drum in ref to this comment

"I would like to try out the Iconoclaust boots but I haven't had a chance to see them in person and I'm not going to buy a pair without seeing and feeling the boot itself first..and another user on the forum has mentioned that those boots were recommended for horses with previous injury to their leg."

I think this user may have gotten confused with the other boots this brand has called Iconoclast Rehabilitation Boot.....their other/regular boot is Iconoclast Orthopedic Support Boot

DrumRunner 02-25-2012 04:24 PM

No, the user had been in contact with the company said that both boots are recommend for horses with previous injury or stress on their leg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1361337)

The boot boasts a double sling vs the traditional single sling. Thus the uninjured horse can be impacted negatively. I do not see any patent remarks on his website. My guess is there will be the same boot with a different name out shortly!

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1360889)

Per our lameness expert (FEI level vet, AAEP hall of fame vet) he said he would NOT recommend these boots for a non-injured horse.

Jumper12 02-25-2012 05:37 PM

Bell boots would definitely be a good choice if your horse has some minor over reaching issues, especially if he has shoes on the front. I really like the pull on ones if your are planning to leave them on 24/7 because they seem to give my delicate mare less rubs but i like the rubber velcro ones as well just for riding because they are WAY easier to get on, especially over shoes! Plus those two kinds are pretty affordable, like 10-15 bucks. Good luck with your horsie :) :)

sierrams1123 02-25-2012 09:21 PM

oh okay drum....just posting what I saw on the site.

DrumRunner 02-25-2012 10:11 PM

No problem..just sharing information.

cuttinmom 03-07-2012 02:48 PM

RES Equine Products have a really good line of Bell boots splint boots, polo wraps. The best parts is when the velcro wears out you onlt have to replace the velcro strap not the whole boot. AWesome! resboot.com